X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

Amplifier modification. Worth it?

Hello again

Ever since I received my B&K ST-202 (purchased used from a good guy on another forum) I have been wanting to modify it. A few simple ideas I have had were as follows:

1) New 5 way binding posts. The posts are in good physical condition, but they are the common red and black plastic, and they do not accept 12awg bare wire. I have had to taper the ends of my speaker cables to fit. :rofl:

2) New chassis mount RCAs. One channel connection seems a little loose. I figured once I'm in there to put in new posts I may as well switch these out.

3) Add a better power cord. The current one is fixed to the amp and has a relatively cheapo two prong plug on the end. Might beef it up a bit and make it detachable.

Now none of these will have a profound impact on the sound quality. They will basically improve the functionality of the amp over it's present state.

However, I started thinking a bit bigger. I am sure some of you guys have experience with modifying the "guts" of amplifiers. Is there much I can do to "pimp" this puppy out ? Also, is there anything I should look at replacing due to the age of the amp (believe it was made between 1985-87)? I would like to do this myself instead of sending it to some expensive boutique type mod outfit. Also, as this is not a high end amp I wouldn't want to spend more than the cost of the amplifier. I am looking for relatively inexpensive things I can do to get the most out of this ST-202.

I can provide pics of the insides and as many specs of internal components as possible if asked.

BTW the amp is powering a pair of exodus 261s, if anyone cares to know, hehe. I think this would be a fun project, and a learning experience.

Thanks!
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

No suggestion?

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Why don't you contact B&K and see what they recommend?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"