X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • matt36887
    • Jan 2006

Building a SS 15"D2 First DIY Sub

Would a 23.5" x 23.5" x 23.5" outside dimension sealed box be big enough? It would be 1.5" thick all around with one window brace. I will be using a Nady XA 1100 for the amp and for the time being a Pioneer 815K for the crossover. Also what the cutout diameter, mounting depth be? Should I make the front baffle 2.25" thick mounting to the inside out and just cutting out the 2nd and 3rd?
  • ---k---
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2005

Sounds good. I'm assuming that you have seen Steve's and mine thread. Your plan is almost exactly the same as ours, but we both built 2. If you haven't seen ours, make sure you check the DIY Sub Showcase thread, and it will provide you the links to probably answer all of your questions. If not, Thomas is here for you.
    - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
    CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
    CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I'd use 2 window braces. The driver dimension are on the SS website

For ease of constructions make the front 1.5" thick with the driver cutout, then glue on a 3rd piece with a larger diameter cutout to make the recess

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• steve nn
        • Jan 2006

all around with one window brace
        One brace is going to bring you in short, but your on the right track. I strongly suggest two at a minimum. One on the back wont hurt either and is very easy to do.
        Would a 23.5" x 23.5" x 23.5" outside dimension sealed box be big enough?
        Yes it would. I wouldn't put any fill in it to start out except to line the walls and then tweak it from there after your up and running.
        Also what the cutout diameter, mounting depth be?
        Fourteen inches and not a tad over or under. You need to be precise here so proceed with care or it'll foul you up and cost time and a little $$. The driver displacement is .21 cu ft and the depth is a little over 3/4 at idle.
        Should I make the front baffle 2.25" thick mounting to the inside out and just cutting out the 2nd and 3rd?
        I would go 1/2" on the third baffle panel myself. The driver will be seated in plenty far. I also suggest giving yourself a 1/2" extra space around the driver as to make it much easier to get at since it's under flush.

Comment

• matt36887
          • Jan 2006

what size of straight router bit should I use to mount? also would a 1/2" roundover look the best?

Comment

• matt36887
            • Jan 2006

Ok, so i was looking at the dimensions on the website and it shows that i should be routering out a circle 15.6", is that correct? Then the cutout will be 13.9-14"? Thanks for the help I have all the pieces cut and am looking forward to putting it together tonight with your help.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

what size of straight router bit should I use to mount? also would a 1/2" roundover look the best
              Whatever round-over looks best to you is the key. Experiment on some scrap material. I use 1/4" solid carbide, spiral twist, up cutting bits to make the driver cutout holes.
              it shows that i should be routering out a circle 15.6", is that correct?
              Probably I usually measure the driver since there are minor variances in the rubber trim ring.
              Then the cutout will be 13.9-14"?
              14"

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• steve nn
                • Jan 2006

Ok, so i was looking at the dimensions on the website and it shows that i should be routering out a circle 15.6"
                I went 16" myself as to have a little extra room to get at the driver...15.6 will still give you a little room though.
                Then the cutout will be 13.9-14"?
                Go 14".. You might have to sand just a tad if under, but you don't want to be over because you need the meat for screwing in the driver.
                I use 1/4" solid carbide
                I used a 1/4" straight, but I'm looking for a 1/32 bit to cut down on the sawdust.

Comment

• Jose_L
                  • Mar 2006

Which driver would you use ? I'm planning on getting the Dayton 1000w plate amp (512w 8ohm/1024w 4ohm)
                  My box is similiar 22x24x24 outside dimensions.

Which driver is better in this sealed box ? the 2 ohm or the 4 ohm version ?

Thanks
                  Regards,
                  Jose

Comment

• steve nn
                    • Jan 2006

I'm planning on getting the Dayton 1000w plate amp (512w 8ohm/1024w 4ohm)
                    If memory serves me correct, the Dayton has a HP filter kicking in around 25 Hz. With you going the sealed rout.. this isn't a good thing unless you have already addressed the subject?

Comment

• Jose_L
                      • Mar 2006

Didn't know that...

Any Idea on an high power internal plate amp ?

I need a silent amp, an a plate amp would work better for me than a external pro amp..

I read the manf pdf on partsexpress, it list a Lowpass xover 30-100hz .. But I will be using my pre-processor to bypass the amp's xover..

I don't understand why it would be bad ?

I figured between the parametric eq on the amp and the notch filter on my avm20v2 it should provide some basic eq ..

Regards,
                      Jose
                      Last edited by Jose_L; 16 March 2006, 18:48 Thursday. Reason: extra info

Comment

• derekbannatyne
                        • Jan 2006

if you look there, the response of the amp starts rolling off steeply at 20hz, which is bad for the sub because you want to get response below 20hz.

Comment

• steve nn
                          • Jan 2006

I've hade a little experience with the amp when I did the Titanic MKIII Thread. The eq function was nice, but with the HP kicking in... I couldn't get what I was looking for in FR response.

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0251.webp
Views:	21
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	943378
                          Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 22:04 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jose_L
                            • Mar 2006

Thanks for the help..

What amp would you recomend ? need something silent,
                            that's why I went w/ the plate amp..

I found the following:

Adire ADA 600 amp (600w@4ohm) $549
                            O Audio Bash 500w 4ohm amp. $239
                            Keiga 1000w 4ohm amp $575
                            Keiga 500w 4ohm amp $350

Is there a 1000w Bash amp ? wtb ?

Which is the best & how much power do I need ?

Regards,
                            Jose
                            Last edited by Jose_L; 17 March 2006, 01:52 Friday. Reason: more info

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"