X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HMenke
    • Feb 2006

6" port tubes

I know these can be hard to find and sometimes expensive. I ran across these while looking for something else. Haven't tried them but maybe they will work for you.

• ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Parts Express sells those as well. I'm not quite sure what good they are given the very short length and the lack of a flare.

The reason the 6" PNP-Aero ports are so $pendy is their huge flare = bigger than 9" on each end.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• thylantyr
      • Nov 2004

this thread;

Join the largest car audio forum community, dedicated to the beginner, or expert. Find everything you want to know about car audio, get installation help, reviews, tips and great deals on speakers, subs, amplifiers and more.

The big port, does it look familiar to anyone?

Those look cool, where to buy?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Those are the 6" AeroPort flares we've used for years. They're getting VERY hard to find. The only source at this time is ..

And yes they ship to the US

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• HMenke
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Parts Express sells those as well. I'm not quite sure what good they are given the very short length and the lack of a flare.

The reason the 6" PNP-Aero ports are so $pendy is their huge flare = bigger than 9" on each end.
          I guess these cheapies are just a cosmetic solution. From a functional standpoint, if someone needed a fancy 4" flared port due to high air velocity, they could possibly use this 6" and lower the velocity on the cheap without going ugly.

Comment

• chasw98
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

I have a single Aeroport 6" left over that I don't see any use for in the near future. If someone is looking for one, PM me.

Chuck

Comment

• jtt
              • Feb 2006

I purchased 4 of these 6" Aeroports and had a few questions on installing these in the subs.

Standard 6" ID PVC is a little to big for the Aeroport to slip over it. What's the best solution to make it fit? It looks like I could try to cut a thin layer off of the last bit of the pipe to make it slip in or I could use a coupling, but they were fairly expensive and still didn't provide a tight fit.

What's the preferred way to attach the aeroport to the PVC? If I use a coupling it'd be a lose fit so maybe something like a poly glue?

Finally when installing the port in the box since this port doesn't have any screw holes on the flange whats the best way to get a strong air tight seal between the port flange and the front baffle? Should the port rest against the inside of the front baffle or should I rabbet out a the hole on the outside of the baffle and set it in with some glue?

I'd appreciate any help anyone could offer.

Thanks

Comment

• chasw98
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

I have heard that the green storm drain or sewer pipe will fit the Aeroports. I beleive ThomasW knows for sure, but I recently saw it mentioned in one of the threads.

Chuck

Comment

• jtt
                  • Feb 2006

If you find a 'associate' or whatever they're called, most Lowe's have the 6" green sewer pipe that fits the 6" AeroPort flares. But you need to find someone working there that has a brain (difficult) to access it, since it's usually stored out of sight. At least that's how I get it here in Denver.
                  Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

Still curious on if there is a standard way of mounting the flange to the baffle though. Thanks!

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Chuck's right, the green sewer/drain pipe fits these flares. This pipe has a slightly smaller ID than 6" pipe, so adjust your model accordingly

You can rebase them if you want, certainly can't hurt.

I glue them onto the front baffle with epoxy.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"