X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

LT's vs low boost

I've lurked for a few weeks while trying to digest all of the good information about DIY subs. Some of you guys obviously put a lot of time and effort into helping us newbies -- thank you very much! I'm putting together a home theater in our game room, which is about 4300 cubic feet. Although the sub will be used mainly for

Thomas, the above post got me wondering, if a sealed emclosure is big enough, and the driver still doesn't like to perform in the deeper regions like one would wish, is there a differemce between a custom L-T cct compared to a parametric EQ?
    Last edited by theSven; 30 September 2023, 21:27 Saturday. Reason: Update url
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Basically an LT circuit is like a single band of parametric EQ with an additional circuit that allows for dialing in a target Qtc. It's used for small boxes where the Qtc is high and so is the Fs/Fc.

Here's John Murphy's webpage about them

If the box is big and the Qtc low all one needs is parametric EQ to boost the bottom end.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

Although according to WinISD, the LT offers much better group delay than a 6th order (ported+peaking 2nd order HP) with the same box size and target extension.

Comment

• ---k---
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2005

Thomas,
        Is there a limit to how low one should push the Qtc using a LT curcuit?

Also, what do you consider "big enough" and the "Qtc low enough"? Also, is this before or after stuffing?
        - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
        CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
        CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's after the damping is added

There's not really much point in using a LT circuit if one already has a (critically damped) Qtc of 0.5.

The benefit to LT's is in small sealed boxes with high a Qtc, when one has excess of amplifier power and driver excursion. Then the LT can be used to force the driver to function as if it were a bigger box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

If you use the calculator on SL's site http://www.linkwitzlab.com/pz-eql.xls , you must keep K>0, which I guess is the limit on changing Qts.

Comment

• kramskoi
              • Jan 2006

even at a Qtc of .5, the box is still not performing to it's capabilities (vs. an LT circuit). For my application, we are talking 10 cu. ft. net(12-14 external volume) and f3=36 Hz. An "extremely" heavy and substantial enclosure.

I think a low f3 is the big thing with sealed boxes, given all the deep ported subs on the market. The biggest complaint against sealed subwoofers is frequency response. Everybody wants to know "what it does at 20 Hz".

The LT circuit has been defined as "surgical equalization", as it applies the perfect inverse curve of boost down to Fp, with the added benefit of lower group delay.

A parametric equalizer won't be as accurate and group delay will be higher.

Another thing, that i've slowly come to realize, is that implementing the LT circuit, based on box software, may not be the best approach.

On more than one occasion i've been told that i must find the "true" Fb of the enclosure. With an impedance analyzer, or some other comparable device, one can determine precisely where it occurs. Of course, this would be done after the box is stuffed and sealed. The best approach, however, may be a variable LT circuit like the Bassis.
              :T
              ...our brains and nervous systems constitute a belief-generating machine, a system that evolved to assure not truth, logic, and reason, but survival...

2x15" TC Sounds .45Q sealed
              M. Boutte HT
              3x15" @ 10 Hz

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I guess the point is why bother with a large box if one is going to use an LT?

And yes one needs to measure both the Fc and the Qtc to accurately determine the settings for the LT

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Mark Seaton
                  • Aug 2001

There are plenty of differing perspectives on EQ and sealed boxes. Personally I look at it more as the box volume adjusting the low frequency sensitivity. If you have flexibility in the EQ, adjust the box volume to what you think makes sense with the power you will have on tap, and then decide what sort of response you are after, noting the trade offs in program playback level as you add boost to the low end.

A LT or similarly executed EQ can certainly be used to make a "too small" box have the net frequency response of one that is larger, or it can be used to dial in the specific response curve you desire when driver and box volume combinations don't naturally allow it.
                  Mark Seaton
                  "Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood..." - Daniel H. Burnham

Comment

• steve nn
                    • Jan 2006

The LT circuit has been defined as "surgical equalization", as it applies the perfect inverse curve of boost down to Fp, with the added benefit of lower group delay.
                    I had a little expectation of GD going up (discernible anyway) but have not been able to detect the effect at all.
                    Another thing, that i've slowly come to realize, is that implementing the LT circuit, based on box software, may not be the best approach.
                    Thank goodness I don't have (or take) the time to learn all the fancy programs out there. Sure some will be good and a big help, but then others will be like some druid telling me how to do my job with no practical experience.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                      • Aug 2001

There are plenty of differing perspectives on EQ and sealed boxes. Personally I look at it more as the box volume adjusting the low frequency sensitivity. If you have flexibility in the EQ, adjust the box volume to what you think makes sense with the power you will have on tap, and then decide what sort of response you are after, noting the trade offs in program playback level as you add boost to the low end.
                      Since Mark taught me many years ago to think in terms of the relationship between Vb and LF sensitivity, it won't be surprizing that I agree.

As a general thought, I think sometimes "LT" is used as a catch-all term for any response-extending eq.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"