X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

Review: RS225s, W15LY, and OW1 3-way

First, how does this speaker sound? We all know and love the OW1, even if it does have slightly higher distortion compared to others. This is a very sweet sounding tweeter and blends seamlessly with the W15LY. I wouldn't call the OW1 the most dynamic tweeter I have heard, but it is sweet none-the-less and doesn't really call attention to itself. I found this was true with the OW1, when I listened to Roman's Asterion speaker with RS bass section. Again, a very detailed, somewhat laid back tweeter with very nice imaging and depth of soundstage.

The W15LY, was the real surprise. I've read some comments in the past that this driver has higher distortion than the magnesium cone brother, but if crossing above 2K, I prefer the Nextel driver. In a phrase, it's easier on the ears than the metal midrange (W15CH) when paired up with an OW1 4th order acoustic and in my system which includes solid state class AB amplification. I was pleased that the nextel midrange didn't lose detail that the magnesium cone midrange is known for. Rather, the detail was "spread" wider over a greater soundstage and gave a very live feeling to recordings. The magnesium driver is fast and detailed where the nextel seemed detailed but less forceful. The depth of image while listening to the nextel midrange was very spacious, if not a touch distant. This quality was a welcome change to my system because I listen to a lot of rock music that can be on the bright side. Overall I'm very pleased with the way the nextel driver sounds.

Now, this might get me in trouble a bit, but the RS225 woofer is just incredible. There is really no comparing it to the W22 crossed over for use below 300HZ. Perhaps my tuning of the W22 was off, but unibox usually doesn't lie. In a 50L box tuned to around 30HZ, the RS225 sounds like a sub was turned on where the W22 was wimpy and could not create the impact necessary for orchestra music. The W22 is very honest from 150HZ on up and was just plain incredible for some music, but the RS225 is equally impressive, yet with a slightly warmer more expansive sound. Overally the RS225 goes deeper, louder, with less effort than the W22. It differences were NOT subtle at all.

As a complete system, I bet you were noticing how I used words like expansive and detailed to describe each new driver in my system. What this should tell you is that this 3-way with OW1, W15LY, and RS225 is a very good match. It plays all sorts of music without ever becoming fatiquing. It's detailed and offers a large soundstage. Each driver does not call attention to itself, rather blends and becomes one with the music.

So what's next?

This speaker is pretty much complete and I doubt I'll be making any more driver subsitutions. Who knows, maybe my W15CHs will end up in a completely different setup. But for our particular design goals of developing a speaker for a variety of musical taste, this 3-way does the trick now. Funny how our design goals change after we have more experience with a variety of drivers. I'm very pleased with the sound of this new configuration.

I'm sure there are things I left out, so feel free to ask any specific questions you might have.

Regards,
    Jed
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jed; 08 June 2011, 17:46 Wednesday.
  • matt36887
    • Jan 2006

what was the cost for the pair?

Comment

• Jed
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by matt36887
      what was the cost for the pair?
      OW1 pair = $200
      W15LY pair = $230
      RS225s about $100
      Crossover somewhere around $150-$250 depending on quality of parts used. I have so many parts laying around I really couldn't tell you how much I actually spent on the crossover.

Wood, paint, glue, maybe $100?

I think that about sums it up.

Jed

Comment

• cotdt
        • Oct 2005

The Daytons are definately warm. I like! Great stuff, a bargain too. Did roman say any remarks about the W15LY versus the Vifa XT/XG-18's?

What is your musical taste btw? Also, why didn't you use a 10"?

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by cotdt
          The Daytons are definately warm. I like! Great stuff, a bargain too. Did roman say any remarks about the W15LY versus the Vifa XT/XG-18's?

What is your musical taste btw? Also, why didn't you use a 10"?
          Roman hasn't heard my speaker yet, but I've heard the XT versus the Nextel and I would say the W15LY has more presence and detail above 2K, where the XT just sounds too soft IMHO (crossed over above 2K that is).

I considered a 10" woofer but ultimately wanted to keep this speaker fairly compact in size, yet offer the best bass extention. The RS225s was a nice compromise.

Jed

Comment

• jerusalem
            • Aug 2005

Btw here in skandinavia, finland w22 costs 235$ per one.

If this rs225 is as good or better, then it is a steal because after shipping & customs it is 240$ for two of them.

It could be even less with us postal service...

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by jerusalem
              Btw here in skandinavia, finland w22 costs 235$ per one.

If this rs225 is as good or better, then it is a steal because after shipping & customs it is 240$ for two of them.

It could be even less with us postal service...

Below 300HZ I prefer the RS225. I haven't used the W22s as a midrange and for that application I think the W22s might win. How do you intend to use the W22 or RS225?

Comment

• jerusalem
                • Aug 2005

I would use it as a woofer,but haven't made up plans yet.

Comment

• magg
                  • Dec 2006

magnesium?

Magnesium is a highly versatile metal favoured for its light weight and high strength-to-weight ratio. It is non-toxic, has excellent machining qualities, and exhibits a capacity to dampen and absorb vibration and electromagnetic waves.

if you have some interest about magnesium and magnesium metal you can find more information at

Link changed by moderator to a generic website
                  Last edited by ThomasW; 28 December 2006, 12:20 Thursday.

Comment

• cotdt
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by magg
                    Magnesium is a highly versatile metal favoured for its light weight and high strength-to-weight ratio. It is non-toxic, has excellent machining qualities, and exhibits a capacity to dampen and absorb vibration and electromagnetic waves.

if you have some interest about magnesium and magnesium metal you can find more information at

Link changed by moderator to a generic website
                    but then there are those pesky fires...

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"