X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JustinSC
    • Jul 2005

Power Paint Sprayer

Onsale, do you think it's worth it?

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!
  • TimRawson
    • Oct 2004

Very skeptical of off brand tools.... For instance, picked up a sander couple years back. While motor was up to duty and constuction good enough, well thought out design was lacking. Certain brands dominate in certain tools. I like dewalt xr cordless drills (after burning up brake on a milwaukee), porter cable sanders and routers (their drills suck).

On the other hand... I wish I knew where the trouble spots for each tool were. I bought a $40 all in one spray kit at home depot early last summer, junk! Ending up getting a gravity feed ingersol rand.

Ever see those 'tool shops' at the hip shopping centers? Where they sell central machinery or some weird brand all over. Picked up a drill press (being hypocrit) and will try soon. ALso picked up a spray gun for about same price... when gets warm enough can say what I think.

It's hard to say what tools are a commodity (that is, difficult to mess up). I'm now looking for a band saw and wish to find a killer budget product like the ryobi table saw.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Sometimes the Harbor Freight tools work okay. For $13 what do you have to lose?

Note that generally speaking small airless units generically aren't the best devices regardless of who makes them.
      Last edited by ThomasW; 17 February 2006, 11:07 Friday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

I was told by a piano finisher that you either spend money on good spray equipment or you spend lots of time sanding. It's a tradeoff, like much of what we do. If you aren't after a piano gloss, I'll bet you'll be satisfied. Heck, I've done piano gloss out of spray cans, it just takes time. (and nearly as much money in paint and sandpaper as a decent touch up gun)

Bob
        /who owns more Harbor Freight tools than he cares to admit/

Comment

• Wayne E
          • May 2004

You might be much better with something like this:

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Borrow a compressor from a neighbor, friend or family member if you don't have one. The results will turn out much better. The original posted spray gun will do a horrible job. It looks like it's based on one of the Wager guns. I've owned the Wagner before. Sprays paint on horribly - and gets quite hot, too.

I purchased the $13 Sprayer from Harbor Freight a few months back. Over the course of a few days, I used it to spray about 2 gallons of paint of 14 linear feet of bookshelves I was building. The finish quality was quite good. It was a breeze to use when painting MDF and only took 5-10 minutes to dry between coats. 3 coats of paint on MDF surfaces looked beautiful.

Comment

• silvercans
            • Nov 2005

Wow they have a ton of cheap spray guns. Would the one you recommended be better then any of these?

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

hmm...idk but for 20 bucks doesnt hurt to try the gravity feed one looks pretty nice lol

Comment

• BobEllis
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

I've had decent results spraying pianolac (www.pianolac.com - highly recommended if you are after a piano gloss - happy customer only) with this gun http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46719 I still needed to sand to get a smooth finish, but I was planning that. Wait for it to go on sale for $40. It comes with a regulator, so you won't have to compensate for the pressure drop of various lengths of hose. Also spring for the inline air filter at the gun to get any oil and moisture that sneaks past your main drier.

With the higher capacity guns you'll probably waste a lot of finish unless you are shooting a really big project. I shot 12 clear coats on a pair of 1 cubic foot cabinets (roughly 10"w x 16" tall x 14" deep) and used only around 8 oz. including finish lost to cleanups every three coats.

Be sure to spend some time spraying cardboard or other scrap to get a feel for the gun's controls. better to get a spatter/textured finish there than your project and have to sand it off. (voice of bad experience)

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

even 56 bucks isnt bad i mean its not the most money youve spent on this hobby considering what you spend on your other tools and what not i think it would still be fairly resonable.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"