X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jonasz
    • Nov 2004

My upgraded dipoles...

I've been satisfied with my Phoenix system for quite some time now, but I've always been confident that the W22 is a better driver than the 8554. So 6 month ago I got the opportunity to buy four W22's at a very good price. I also bought two Dayton RS28A to take over from the 9700. I think both drivers have excellent build quality, especially the RS28 at it's price point.

Dayton RS28A

Images not available

Seas Excel W22EX

Images not available

I've always thought that the "backbone" of the Phoenix is a bit wider than ideal so I've tried to minimize the area that reflects the sound back to the mids by using an aluminum L-profile (is that the right English word for it?). Here's some pictures of how I did it (please excuse the lousy paint job... )

Images not available

Here's a couple of pic's of the finished system.

Images not available

I have introduced a 5 khz notch filter for the W22's and made some changes in the levels for the different drivers. What I still have to do is to transform the 100 hz bass/mid crossover into 4th order, it's second order now. I really like the sound of this driver combo, I think it's easily outperforms the 8554/9700 drivers. The W22 is better than the 8554 by a wide margin, no question there. The RS28A on the other hand seems to have an advantage over the 9700 in the lower treble, it's a lot cleaner there. The 9700 though seems to have a little more air to it, right or wrong, I don't know. Overall I do like the RS28 thanks to less sibilance and an overall sweeter sound. I bet the 9700 isn't made to be crossed at 1440hz...

Well, I'm more than satisfied with my new system. I'm also going to complement the system with some low frequency omph... see pic below. Four sealed boxes below 40 hz will do the trick I hope! 8)

Jonas
    Images not available
    Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:21 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • JoshK
    • Mar 2005

very cool, thanks for sharing.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Nice looking work, Jonas! :T

I think that's a very good upgrade for your Phoenix! I have some W22 which will also be tried in the Arvo, along with the 830884. I dare not ask you what all those W22 cost in Swedent- but I'm sure it's a worthwhile investment!

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing the Pics with us-

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul H
        • Feb 2004

Originally posted by Jonasz
        ... I also bought two Dayton RS28A to take over from the 9700. ...

I'll take that as a very strong compliment from you to the makers of the RS28A - they're leagues apart in price.

Paul

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

At last! Someone who appears to have as many boxes of drivers and stereo equipment piled up as I do. :W
          Very nice work Jonas. Are you considering four seperately placed subs or 2/box, perhaps bipole, to get some force cancellation?

Cheers,

AJ
          Manufacturer

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

Thanks for the kind words...

Jon: I think it was well worth it, besides I got all drivers except the RS28A (wich my fiancée gave me :B ) for about half the retail price...

Paul: I know the SS is a great driver, but I think the Dayton is happier with the low crossover. I bet it sounds less strained in your dipoles with the higher crossoverpoint you´re using. The 9700 also has some nice air to it that the Dayton lacks... In the end it may be a question of taste.

AJ: I will try two XLS in each box to start with, if I'm not happy with that I will build four smaller ones. We experimented at a friends and we weren't happy until we had four boxes at different places in the room, it's a pain to get boxes to sound right in a room... Collecting speakers is a bad(?) and expensive habit I have...
            Last edited by Jonasz; 13 February 2006, 09:40 Monday.

Comment

• gvinson
              • Nov 2005

Nice work! Nice pix too!

Ribbon Project

Comment

• Ray_D
                • Apr 2005

Brace attachment

Jonasz

Beautiful!

How are the drivers attached to the aluminum brace?

Comment

• Davey
                  • Jan 2003

Ray,

It looks like Jonasz has not attached the drivers directly.....this is consistent with the Phoenix design. The chunk of angle mounts through the block directly to the center cross pieces and pushes (via the little, half-circle spacers...not sure what those are made of) the drivers against weatherstriping (or similar) mounted on the back side of the baffle. There is no "solid" attachment used.

I'm not sure if reflections from the wider spine assembly of the stock Phoenix design were really a problem, but this modification does open up the area considerably. However, I do like the aesthetics of the original design much better.

The Phoenix system has sort of been forgotten in all the recent excitement with the Orion, but it is a terrific system that out-performs the majority of commercial offerings and even betters the Orion in terms of SPL capability.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Jonasz
                    • Nov 2004

Ray: Davey explained it just fine and those halfcircle spacers are in fact damping feet for speakers cut in two.

Davey: They're more like prototypes so far, I will consider the esthetics when I've found a design I'm content with. Actually one of my friends haven't even seen the sloppy painting on the backside in four years! 8O

After some more listening, I'm very happy with the sound they're making! :B

Comment

• Saurav
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2004

So it's not attached to the brace, and it's not screwed in to the baffle either? it's just held in place by friction?

Comment

• Dennis H
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Aug 2002

Mounting:

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_panel2.gif
Views:	15
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	949373
                        Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:22 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Davey
                          • Jan 2003

There are no mechanical fasteners used directly on the driver. The combination of the spacers and angle brace on the back and the weather striping on the front of the driver frame "sandwiches" the driver and holds it steady over time.

Take a look at the Phoenix main panel construction for a better visual:

The little red and green areas denote the weatherstiping and RTV silicone in the Phoenix design.

Dang it Dennis......you posted right before me and stole my thunder.

Cheers,

Davey.

Comment

• Saurav
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2004

Thanks.

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                              • Jan 2004

I don’t understand why one should go through all the trouble of sandwiching the drivers instead of just mounting them with screws. I plan on a MTM version Dipole in the near future so I’m trying to gather as much info as possible before I start my plans.

Thanks
                              My Center Channel Project

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

There's no rigid mechanical link between the drivers and the baffle.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Jonasz
                                  • Nov 2004

I've been very satisfied with the RS28 for some time but I've found it to be a little "dead" in the top octave. I've tried to correct it but not been very happy with the results. So, what to do? I tried the Seas H1212...

Image not available

The H1212 have a fantastic amount of air and detail and at first I thought this is the tweeter I've been looking for. After some time though I noticed that it wasn't fun listening and some fatigue was present. I've read a lot of positive things about this tweeter but maybe it doesn't fancy the low crossover at 1400 hz I'm using?

So, what to do next? Neo 3 PDR? Most certainly!

Image not available

The Neo 3 have tha same amount of air as the H1212 but it is very smooth and still detailed. It handles the low crossoverpoint awesome too, something I didn't expect. John Krutkes measurements of this tweeter doesn't contradict what I'm hearing either. The only negative I can say about it so far is some limited dispersion at extreme angles but I don't find that a real problem.

Link to John´s measurements: http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/
                                  Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:22 Sunday. Reason: Remove broken image links

Comment

• JoshK
                                    • Mar 2005

Thanks for the update, Jonasz. As you may know, I am pretty close to start on building my Arvo Part variations using the W22. I haven't commited to the tweeter yet, so I intrigued by your results.

Comment

• cotdt
                                      • Oct 2005

would a coaxial midrange with two RS225's be a furthur improvement? reason is i prefer the RS225 over the W22 for bass, and it's much cheaper.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

But the w22 is much prettyer. :B

Comment

• BobEllis
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Dec 2005

Especially in the frequency response picture.

However, if you're going to roll it off earlier (<1.2kHz) and hard with a coax above, it should work. Keep us posted. I have a RS225 MTM with a 27TDFC in a waveguide in the works, slowly progressing.

Comment

• cotdt
                                            • Oct 2005

yes yes i like the idea. with a coaxial midrange i'll bet i can cross it below 800Hz, only problem is that coaxial midranges are hard to find.

Comment

• TacoD
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Feb 2004

Try a Morel supreme 110 / Seas Millenium. Those can handle the low x-over point, and sound very nice. Also the Scanspeak 6600 is a nice candidate but I am not sure if it will work with Seas. It sounds a bit darker than Morel/ Seas.

Comment

• Landroval
                                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Jonasz

So, what to do next? Neo 3 PDR? Most certainly!

Image not available

The Neo 3 have tha same amount of air as the H1212 but it is very smooth and still detailed. It handles the low crossoverpoint awesome too, something I didn't expect. John Krutkes measurements of this tweeter doesn't contradict what I'm hearing either. The only negative I can say about it so far is some limited dispersion at extreme angles but I don't find that a real problem.

Link to John´s measurements: http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

How low crossover point are you using with the Neo 3?
                                                Last edited by theSven; 01 October 2023, 20:23 Sunday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• Jonasz
                                                  • Nov 2004

I'm using the same 1440 hz crossover as before so I guess it's not optimised. I cant't hear any obvious flaws with the crossover and certainly no harsh sound dependant on the low crossover. I think the Neo3 works fine with this crossover.

Comment

• Piotr
                                                    • May 2006

Jonasz,

I hate you..

for doing such nice looking designs, mine will never be able to compare to yours.

I´m sure those sound great. I´ve been looking at that tweeter also, seems like a nice one.

Morsning!

/Peter

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"