X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Flat Router Bit

Is this a suitable bit for cutting the driver recesses? Just want to be sure before I pay for something I don't need.

In addition, I will be ordering a 1/4" spiral upcut, a good sized flush trim, a 3/4" roundover, and a 45 deg. chamfer bit.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	plunge_cut_straight.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	943363
    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 21:39 Wednesday. Reason: Update URL
    Danish
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yep, I cut recesses for big drivers with a 3/4" flat bottom..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul H
      • Feb 2004

Agreed, and go with 1/2" shafts wherever you can.

The larger the better for flush trim bits for speaker building. A small bit can be used to trim veneer, but if you're using it to cut extra mdf or ply flush to another surface, bigger is better (ie 1/2" shaft and cutter, 2" long cutter).

Paul

Comment

• dyazdani
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure since they don't call it a "flat bottom bit" rather a "straight plunge cutter."

I'm planning on a 2" flush trim for sure, maybe a smaller one for more delicate work too. For now, I just need it to trim MDF on cabinets.

I plan to get 1/2 bits for everything except the 1/4" upcut, they supply a 1/2", but it's really a 1/4" bit with an adaptor, according to the website.

Thanks for the help.
        Danish

Comment

• dawaro
          • Feb 2005

If you are using a circle jig like the Jasper you will also want to make sure you get the correct size bit for it. They are all calibrated to certain bit sizes. The smaller model jigs do not allow clearence for larger bits.
          I am not Dawaro the muslim state in Ethiopia...Just DAvid WAyne ROberts

Comment

• PMazz
            • May 2001

I always use a template to route my finished baffles and use the #7684 bit.

Pete
            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Oh sure Pete be different just because you're the only professional woodworker posting to this thread......:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

The jasper jig is calibrated for a 1/4" bit IIRC, but you can use a different size, you just have to account for it when you set up the jig. It gives good instructions on how to do so, but it's not really rocket science anyway.
                Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Using a 1/4" bit, all but the largest the Jasper jig is indexed for 1/8" adjustments.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

I have both sizes of the Jasper Jig, according to the scales, both are in 1/16" increments. Did they change them from 1/8"?

The smaller jig (up to 7 1/2") will be limited to the bit diameter. The large jig should have no problem.

Pete,

I plan to use templates in the future when doing some of my own designs. For my sub project, I'll stick with the jasper jig for my 15" plus recess. I did see that bit previously though and made a mental note.
                    Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Did they change them from 1/8"?
                      My bad, operator error, posting before AM coffee .... ops:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                        My bad, operator error, posting before AM coffee .... ops:
                        :lol: I didn't want to call you out since you are "the man"
                        Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I didn't want to call you out since you are "the man"
                          Actually only 1/2 "the man" before the AM caffeine kicks in.. :B

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• PMazz
                            • May 2001

Oh sure Pete be different just because you're the only professional woodworker posting to this thread......:wink:
                            Just tryin to help out however little I can. Besides, I've always been "different".

Pete
                            Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• dyazdani
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

Got my bits in from MLCS today! Just in time to practice this weekend...

Image not available
                              Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 21:37 Wednesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
                              Danish

Comment

• ThomasW
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Two words .......dust mask.....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ekkoville
                                  • Aug 2004

Pardon my ignorance, but is that THE Jasper jig or another model?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

That's the Jasper model #200, it's the most popular. They make several other models.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• dyazdani
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

That's the Jasper model #200, it's the most popular. They make several other models.
                                      Yep, I've got the 400 as well, does up to a 7.5" circle. I have no need for it at the time, but PE offers a combo at a fairly attractive price.
                                      Danish

Comment

• ekkoville
                                        • Aug 2004

So there must be a pin of sorts that goes in the center of your planned circle to cut around?

Comment

• ThomasW
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2000

A 1/8" machinest's pin is the pivot point.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• wildfire99
                                            • Aug 2005

Am I the only one who cuts recesses with the 1/4" upcut bit and a jasper jig in multiple passes? It takes a few minutes more but I've never miscut for width (which I did with the plunge cutting bit), and I don't have to think about it.
                                            - Patrick
                                            "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

I do the outermost with a 1/4" upcut and then plow out a wider recess with the flat bit. Then I go back to the upcut bit to cut out the middle.
                                              Danish

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"