X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris~H
    • Feb 2006

Would like to build my own DIY sub

I've been reading about some of the subs that have been built by the members here, and these subs look impressive. I've just recently sold my two SVS CS+ subs and am looking for a replacement that will be at the very least their equal. I was happy with the SVS subs but a new house, with not enough room, dictated that I must change my design.

This leads me to where I am at today. I would like to design a subwoofer that also functions as a bench that can be used to put your shoes on/off. According to the WAF and physical limitations of my new living room, I will be forced to place the subwoofer in one location only. That location is the entrance hallway leading into the living room. And, of course, the living room opens up into the kitchen and dining areas. Total cubic footage I'm trying to fill is around 4500.

I am quite intersted in the Soundsplinter RL-P15 subs. I'm not sure though if I would be better off downfiring two of them, or using one of them ported and front firing into the rooms. I have been doing a lot of reading around here and do realize that by going dual sealed is going to be an extremely heavy sub enclosure. But I'm a big boy and I have some good friends who can help me move it into place.

I'm fairly handy with woodworking and plan to get better at it with this project. New tools are already being purchased for it. Total cost that I would like to stay under is $1500. This should include the subs, materials, amp, and eq.

I can try to draw up a sketch of the room if need be. Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Chris
  • SteveCallas
    • Aug 2005

It can only go in a hallway leading to the living room? What room is the rest of the equipment going to be in? I don't know about the others here, but I'd like to see a sketch if you don't mind.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Yes a floor plan would be handy.

Can you do an IB sub using the attic, basement, garage, etc.?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• steve nn
        • Jan 2006

I've just recently sold my two SVS CS+ subs and am looking for a replacement that will be at the very least their equal. I was happy with the SVS subs but a new house, with not enough room, dictated that I must change my design.
        Holy Moly! I thought I was the only one crazy enough to do such a thing! Well I traded dual Ultra's. From there I just recently limped on over to the DIY scene.

If your anything like me your most likely pretty concerned about your bass right now and wondering if your ever going to get things back on track? It was just recently that I knew I did the right thing, but it took some work and staying the course. My bass is as good as it's ever been (some ways better) ;lx and I still have a few things left to do. I elected to go with the 15" RL-p sealed design 3.65 cu ft after factoring. The BASSIS will be added shortly along with the second unit I still need to build.
        I have been doing a lot of reading around here and do realize that by going dual sealed is going to be an extremely heavy sub enclosure. But I'm a big boy and I have some good friends who can help me move it into place. I have been doing a lot of reading around here and do realize that by going dual sealed is going to be an extremely heavy sub enclosure. But I'm a big boy and I have some good friends who can help me move it into place.

I'm fairly handy with woodworking and plan to get better at it with this project. New tools are already being purchased for it. Total cost that I would like to stay under is $1500. This should include the subs, materials, amp, and eq.
        It'll take the dual 15's in the sealed design to keep up with the dual vented dB / TV-12 drivers, (with EQ) but there are the benefits. I would be sure not to build to small. You seem to have a good grasp of what's needed. My budget was $1600 but I tipped it when I decided on the BASSIS. That budget also included a new table saw, router and the veneer. The thing is...if you ever decide to build another in the future it'll come in much less, especially if you swap the driver/s.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"