X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BeemerZ1
    • Nov 2005

(Active?) travel speakers

I want to build a pair of portable speakers.
    They'll be mostly used as party-speakers on vacations.

They don't have to be audiophile speakers, as they will be used mostly to play rock and a bit of pop and other simple music.
    The important thing is that they should be fun listening to, and play louder than a pair of small computer speakers...
    Also they should be reasonably light and small.

I've heard that the Hi-Vi B3S and Aurasound NS3-193 are good full range speakers.
    For amplification I was thinking about the T-amp. Is it possible to bridge it, so that I can put one in each speaker? Or maybe use two drivers in each speaker?

Any good ideas?
    - Stian
    Greetings from Norway :-y
  • joecarrow
    • Apr 2005

Neither of these speakers is very sensitive, and you're really not going to get a lot of juice out of the T-amp. One speaker I've had my eye on is the Galaxy full range driver:

Most decent computer speakers these days have a subwoofer, and I hate to say it but you'll probably want one of those too. I have the NS3 (it has more Xmax than the B3S) in a ported box, and if you run it full range the excursion gets out of control very quickly. The Galaxy driver is a full 10-15 db more efficient than the Aurasound or Hi-Vi drivers, but it also lacks bass.

If you can somehow do a subwoofer with an active crossover to some sort of reasonably sensitive "full range" drivers, this would be a good bet. If you could build something a touch larger, I'd even tell you to consider a 10" or 12" coaxial pro-sound speaker. I've heard systems based on these, and you do get the feeling that 90% of the music is there even though the cutoff is in the neighborhood of 50-60hz.

Oh yeah- and you can't do any parallel/bridge type stuff with the T-amp(s). It's just not designed for it. However, it should be able to handle a 4 ohm load with no trouble- but don't think you're going to get more than 10 watts out of it by any sort of tricks.
    -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"