X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhd
    • Feb 2006

Separate active woofers?

I'd like to add a little more bass to my 2-way bookshelf monitors. Instead of just adding a subwoofer (or building a new design), I thought it might be interesting to try using an active woofer as a stand for the monitors. This could be done in at least two ways:

1. Use an active XO between preamp and amps. The problem there is that I currently run an integrated amp.

2. Use speaker-level inputs (is that high-level or low-level?) on a plate-style amp on each woofer.

I don't need earth-shaking levels of bass - just enough to feel the music a little more. My system is used for 60% classical, 20% rock, and 20% 2-channel home theater. A pair of 10" woofers would probably do the trick.

Anyone have any experience with something like this? Any major concerns with the basic plan? I've seen the BESL subwoofer stands, and I guess what I want to do is somewhat similar, though I don't think the BESL option includes amplification.
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

I'd look at the dayton RS 10" HF
    What is your budget for the woofers each? Also, what dimensions would the stand be. I know that dayton can fit in a small box and a 2-way bookshelf can't be too big, so I think that's where you should start.

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

If your integrated doesn't have pre-amp outputs, then you're going to need to use a plate amp or amps that will accept speaker level signals. Unfortunately going that route means lower sound quality.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jhd
        • Feb 2006

Thanks for the replies.

1. That 10" dayton reference was exactly the sub I was thinking of using. My initial thought for the stands were 10.5 x 16 x 26, which I think comes out to about 35L. This could be larger if necessary.

Would there be any 8" drivers that could do what I'm asking (play in the 20hz range with a little help from the small room)?

I'd like to stay in the $400 range for the drivers plus amplification and electronics.

2. My integrated can be modded for subwoofer out. However, I lose a set of inputs. How much worse would the SQ be using a plate amp with speaker-level inputs, given that I'd only be asking the speaker to play below 80-100hz?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Would there be any 8" drivers that could do what I'm asking (play in the 20hz range with a little help from the small room)?
          You really want to stay with 10"s for this job.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"