X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soho54
    • Dec 2005

IB's, NatP's and Bass Bins

Here is the problem. I just built new custom 3-ways, and installed an IB (gotta love the cult) for my parents' new home theater. Once I fired up and heard, scratch that, felt the IB for the first time the gear at my house had to go.:gah: I have decided to build the NatP's, and add bass bin's with RSS315HFs up front. I live in a duplex now, but I plan on building a house in the next two years. It goes without saying an IB is part of that build. :twisted: I was going to go NatP's, sealed BB, and an EBS 15 until I built my attic, but the wife shot that down. EBS or IB... I didn't have a choice. So it looks like I can build sealed BB's with a slow roll off, or vented BB's say 100l tuned to 16-19 Hz. Vented would be nice until the IB is ready, but I'm unsure if it will integrate well with the IB. I plan on crossing the IB at 40 or 60 Hz. Opinions and insults please. :T
  • soho54
    • Dec 2005

one more thing...

I'm not crazy. I need full range over the top mains for stereo music. They have to kick you in the gut . :-y Something just isn't right when you add a sub. Subs are for movies, and multi-channel audio. :T That is why I want over to top mains. OK, maybe I am crazy.
    Last edited by soho54; 04 February 2006, 03:06 Saturday. Reason: its late... cannot type... must sleep...

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

I'd just build the bass bins with the RS series subs and wait until the IB is finished. Then you don't have a sub to get rid of when the IB is done.
      I wouldn't say a vented box would fit with an IB.

Comment

• borderdad
        • Nov 2005

Bass Bins?

Not trying to hijack the thread, but...What's a bass bin? Thanks. Kevin.
        Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

Originally posted by borderdad
          Not trying to hijack the thread, but...What's a bass bin? Thanks. Kevin.

A separate box for the "woofer" (bass) portion of a speaker. They are often used with an active crossover.

Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

What Keith said...... :T

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Paul W
              • Oct 2004

I haven't worked with the RS drivers, but you may be able to find a box volume that will do both EBS and, with port(s) plugged, low-Q sealed...or the old "fill some volume with books/magazines".
              Paul

Comment

• borderdad
                • Nov 2005

Sorry

Just one more and you can have your thread back. If a bass bin uses a sub driver with a full range signal. Why is it not a subwoofer? Especially if it's actively crossed with...like a subwoofer amp? Sorry for the noob questions. Thanks. Kevin
                Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

If a bass bin uses a sub driver with a full range signal. Why is it not a subwoofer? Especially if it's actively crossed with...like a subwoofer amp?
                  A bass bin isn't a subwoofer, it's a woofer or woofers, designed to play the lower mid bass and take the workload off the midbass drivers. It doesn't receive a fullrange signal. Usually it receives a signal that's higher than a sub (60Hz-80Hz), and extends into the upper midbass (175Hz-250Hz or so)

If it's easier to understand, just think of a bass bin as the woofer section of a 3-way that's mounted in a separate box.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• soho54
                    • Dec 2005

There was a little confussion I'll try to clearify. If I want the IB I cannot have another sub for 1 to 2 years, bass bins only. I intend to use the BB' s as quazi-subs until then. I need the BB to dive to 20 Hz without a sub and still play well crossed at 60 Hz with a sub later own. I see the vented was shot down, so that leaves sealed.

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

There's nothing wrong with ported bass bins as 'temporary' subs. I'd make the design so it was easy to plug or remove the ports when you get your IB up and running.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"