X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gonar
    • Feb 2006

Semi-DIY Subwoofer??

given my very limited funds and skills, I was thinking about doing a Semi-DIY subwoofer by buying the Dayton Sub-120 from PE: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=300-635

and dropping in a better driver like this: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-320

I know that the driver would not be perfectly matched to the enclosure, but do you think I would end up with a better sounding sub?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I doubt that the 12" classic driver would be an upgrade from the one supplied with the sub.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gonar
      • Feb 2006

what driver would you recommend then?

from what I have read the driver that it comes with is a generic no-name driver.

I figured almost anything would be better, and given the relatively high opinion of the bang/buck ratio on the Dayton 6.5 classic woofer by some DIY builders, thought that the 12" might have similar bang/buck..

so, given a price constraint of "similar" to the 12" classic, what would you recommend?

would I be better off getting the 10" dayton and putting the extra $20-30 into a higher end 10" driver? (that would put me at about a $50 10" driver, almost in the range of the 10" quatro and reference series)

is the whole idea just rediculous?

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If you need a budget sub save until you can get the 12" Quatro and one of the PE plate amps on sale

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
          • Nov 2004

Seriously. If you want a 12" and you want it on a real tight budget. Nothing beats that Quatro.
          My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"