X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dustin B
    • Nov 2003

Weird Horn Speaker

Friend at work showed me this link wanting to know if they'd actually be any good. I'd think there'd be weird comb filtering effects from the combination of the horn mouths and the driver direct radiation output. Also aren't horns really directional, so now we've just aimed sound pretty much everywhere but at the listener.

But they did win a single full range driver speaker design competition in Quebec, so really I have no idea. Do any of you have any thoughts?
    Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page
  • Saurav
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

I think a 'back horn' like that is supposed to help augment the bass. Properly designed, it should provide a boost where the FR driver's output falls off. The large baffle will probably help with that too. So if the horn is operating down in the 200-300Hz range, for instance, pointing the sound away from the listener might not be all that bad. I dunno... this is all speculation, I haven't heard those speakers

Comment

• dwk
      • Apr 2005

I looked at the Cornu speakers a while ago when looking for something that might hang on a wall - I think it's actually a very clever design. Directionality is not a problem for a combination of two reasons:
      1) horns are only directional when their dimensions are comparable to or larger than the wavelength of sound - below that they become aperature limted and behave like any other sound source
      2) this is a back-loaded horn. (BLH) this means that it's tuned to provide bass support to the normal direct radiation of the driver. Since wavelengths are long in this range, there's no problem with directivity.

I've never heard one of these, or any other Foxtex BLH for that matter, but I'd imagine that if they successfully walk the tighrope balance between front/direct output and horn bass support, then can be very good - the coherence of a single driver with more extended bass output. If not, well, they still serve as conversation pieces.

Comment

• Dustin B
        • Nov 2003

That's the part I don't get. How does back loading the horn limit the bandwidth coming out of the horn when it's being feed by the back side of a single full range driver?
        Constant Area Screen - The Only Way To Go

My Home Theatre Page

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

How does back loading the horn limit the bandwidth coming out of the horn
          The high frequencies aren't smart enough to get through the maze.....:wink:

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

The back horn is just a variation on the old port/TL/bass-reflex theme, the only difference being that the port gets bigger from inside to outside. A lot of the old vintage Klipshes used the concept.

I built a 15" 3-way in the late 60's that were sorta triangular from the top, with a rear slot port and they used the room corner to complete the back horn. They probably weren't all that good by today's standards but I got nothing but compliments when we would throw college parties.

arty:

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"