X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SE-Raider
    • Jan 2006

Hiquphon pairing

I am interested in building a set of near field monitors for use with my computer for music and editing, and have narrowed my search to one of two possibilities. One is one of the RS variants, either the Natalie P or the Modula MT. The other possibility is using the Hiquphon OWII. I am familiar with the 1801b which pair the Hiquphon with the Seas magnesium driver. I have also considered using the Skaaning C-quence driver as well. However I was wondering what other woofers could be or have been used with good results. How would the RS projects compare with the 1801, or with any other recommended alternatives. Thanks for your patience. I have not had the opportunity to hear any of these so I depend on your experience with them. My reference point is the Dynaudios 240MKII I have in may car and Dyn BM5 and Mackie monitors I have heard lately. Also, why are the Hiquophons not mentioned much in the forums; have they fallen out of vogue or are other tweeters capturing the attention?

Thanks for any recommendations.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The evaluation of cone breakup modes have designs trending to lower and lower crossover points. That effectively eliminates tweeters like the OWII.

I haven't heard a pair of 1801's so I can't comment on their performance vs the sticky treads designs. But I'm sure you're aware of significant cost advantages of the new RS drivers.

Since you like $pendy drivers stick around while Jon designs and builds with the Accutron C90-T6 .....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• SE-Raider
      • Jan 2006

Yes, the RS seem to be very cost effective. But are they really that good compared to some of the better known high-end designs? Actually, I don't prefer spendy drivers, but while I have often regretted not spending enough, I have seldom regretted spending what it takes to do something well. I've learned the hard way to research, find out what is necessary, and then either wait until it can be done right, or not do it at all. The learning is most of the fun, anyway.
      What is Jon up to?

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

But are they really that good compared to some of the better known high-end designs?
        Yes.

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by SE-Raider
          But are they really that good compared to some of the better known high-end designs?
          In some cases the RS drivers beat the more expensive drivers. For example, if using the RS225 as a woofer below 500HZ it has better dynamics and plays louder with less strain than the W22 "woofer." Now, some call the W22 a midrange, but this comparison is not out of the question. The RS drivers are a steal. When I heard the RS225 I couldn't believe how nice it played bass.

For OW1 application, consider Roman's Asterion design at rjbaudio.com. Great sounding speaker and I had the opportunity to audition them myself. Or, you can wait for my new OW1, W15LY, RS225 speaker I'm going to finish up in a few weeks. Not really a mini monitor though.

Jed

PS- My W22s are for sale at $125 each

Comment

• Evil Twin
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Jed,

If you don't sell them in a couple of weeks, let me know and I'll take them from you. I need another pair of "midranges". ;^) Already spent my budget for January on drivers....

~Jon
            DFAL
            Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"