Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

opinions on PE "woofer tester"

is this thing worth it for someone who wants to design there own speakers
    or is there a better alternative?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Making accurate T/S parameter measurements is more complicated than one would imagine. And generally speaking most speaker mfgrs are trustworthy. As a result unless there are very unusual circumstances one doesn't need to measure their own complete T/S parameters.

If one is going to design their own speakers they need to make other types of measurements (frequency response plots, impedance curves, etc.) Doing that requires an investment in both software and hardware that's a bit $pendy.

Look at setups like Clio or Praxis to see what's involved.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
      • Dec 2005

actually, i have bought the pe woofer tester, and found it to be very useful, especially if you cant find any specs (like the radio shack speakers i had). ive also used it to test the box tuning for the sub in my car. plus, you can use it if you want to save files, and then import them to other programs. (like a crossover designer)

chris

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

so what else should i be looking at if im interested in designing my own passives

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

so what else should i be looking at if im interested in designing my own passives
          What's your budget for hardware and software?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JoshK
            • Mar 2005

Can you do the sort of measurements for speaker building with Speaker Workshop? Assuming you have a soundcard and mic.

Comment

• peterS
              Super Senior Member
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
              What's your budget for hardware and software?
              well here is what im going off of

this will get the RTA equipment taken care of
              aparently the "jig" that is esentialy what you pay for with the parts express kit is easily made (not sure i care about saving 100 bucks there)

as for budget lets say below 1000 for everything... which shoould be enough for an enlrty level setup- correct?

what im looking for is a software that will alow me to design passives, rta, and frequency and impedence messurements

any ideas?

Comment

• engr_dave
                • Dec 2005

as for budget lets say below 1000 for everything... which shoould be enough for an enlrty level setup- correct?
                I'd be interested in this also.

I have the latest HT-audio BassBox Pro and X-over Pro, but there are probably better packages available. And I need to invest in some decent measurement equipment. I'm planning on using this with my newer Dell laptop, so external hardware would be nice (PCMCIA, USB, etc).

I'd like to be able to do complete speaker design and measurement as well as room measurement / optimization.

So Thomas, Jon, Chris, etc... what would be the best place to spend $1000 (give or take)?

Comment

• ThomasW
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

$1K will buy the fullblown Praxis setup. Be warned though, even Jon's finding the learning curve really steep ......

If you want something a bit more reasonable start off with a mic, Behringer ECM-8000 or Nady CM-100. Send it off for a $40 cal file to....

Kim Girardin
                  Wadenhome Sound
                  1400 Homer Rd. Suite 2
                  Winona, MN, 55987, USA
                  Phone: 507-454-8844
                  E-mail: kmgrdn@luminet.net

Next buy a M-Audio Mobile pre, then start playing with software.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• engr_dave
                    • Dec 2005

then start playing with software
                    Are you referring to the free demo versions of the popular measurement systems?

I did a little snooping and it looks like the full-blown versions are all at, or just above, my target pricing (without mic or soundcard):

Praxis $998
                    ClioWin7 $1370
                    LMS $1116
                    LSPCAD Pro $980

Funny how that works, isn't it? :roll:

I noticed that there is a Cliowin "lite" and an LSPCAD "standard" that are considerably cheaper - although I'm not sure if LSPCAD standard includes the measurement tool "justMLS". Since I'm just getting started, should I research all of these, or are there some I can avoid from the outset??

So much to learn... so little time...

Comment

• ThomasW
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Are you referring to the free demo versions of the popular measurement systems?
                      Yep, and you might want to start out playing with the great little freeware program Room EQ Wizard. Then download and play with Arta and Speaker Works they're freeware as well.

Just MLS is free with either version of LspCAD

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"