X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • heebee-jeebee
    • Dec 2005

baffle step comp. question

i have a question i hope someone can answer for me. i had some cheap drivers left over from a buddies experiment, they are these.

i made a real cheap crossover, and mated them to a smallish tweeter, it sounds ok, (well, good enough for my friend that im making them for), but there is no midbass or bass really. if i up the bass on my reciever about 6 db, then the bass comes back, but lacks the midbass. the driver is a 7 inch on a 9 inch wide baffle. would a baffle step filter from another project (like the Nat P.) work, and help cure my problem. or are the filters specific to the driver and box combo?

i dont have any real measuring tool, just a dayton woofer tester.

chris
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

or are the filters specific to the driver and box combo?
    Yes.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
      • Dec 2005

is there any way i can calculate a filter, or do i need specific measurements?

chris

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

do i need specific measurements?
        Yep....

BTW having to watch that same animation in your signature over and over and over get's a little old....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• heebee-jeebee
          • Dec 2005

damn...so there isnt much i can do, is there? oh well, thank you.

p.s. if you want me to change my sig, all you have to do is ask.

chris

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

p.s. if you want me to change my sig, all you have to do is ask.
            That was my subtle way of asking....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• KeithM
              • Oct 2005

You can put this filter on it and get a decent circuit, but it would still be best to do it with tested measurements. Use this to get the baffle loss numbers.

Comment

• Dotay
                • Oct 2004

I was thinking of something as I've been considering trying to build a TL for the Natalie P. one of these days. Is baffle step measured from the front of the speaker (seems logical since it's the baffle)? Basically, that TL speaker will be pretty deep so lets say for instance a speaker that is only 10" deep needs to be placed 24" from the rear wall. If the cabinet is 20" deep will the speaker perform the same as if it's 14" from the wall? My thinking is that it would but I just wanted to check.

Comment

• Dennis H
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Aug 2002

Originally posted by Dotay
                  I was thinking of something as I've been considering trying to build a TL for the Natalie P. one of these days. Is baffle step measured from the front of the speaker (seems logical since it's the baffle)? Basically, that TL speaker will be pretty deep so lets say for instance a speaker that is only 10" deep needs to be placed 24" from the rear wall. If the cabinet is 20" deep will the speaker perform the same as if it's 14" from the wall? My thinking is that it would but I just wanted to check.
                  The important distance is from the front panel to the wall and that's how you measure. Jon's designs mostly assume the speaker (front panel) is placed well away from the walls (feet not inches) so cabinet depth isn't a factor.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"