X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

building component rack and need help

I'm building a component rack where on the on the top level I have my projector, so it will technically be a hushbox. It is open on front and back on the bottom parts, then on the top I have all 6 sides covered. Does abyone know where I can get some small, low voltage, quiet fans? I've seen the ones at parts express. Are they quiet? Also, I need one big fan(or would it be better to get a small one for noise control) for the projector fan's hot air. Any ideas?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

For quiet fans, look to some 120mm Nexus fans designed to run on 5-12V. Their classic colors are orange and I think they now have black frame with white blades. Run ~10-15, don't remember exactly.

Consider leaving the top open, at least partially.

C
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
      For quiet fans, look to some 120mm Nexus fans designed to run on 5-12V. Their classic colors are orange and I think they now have black frame with white blades. Run ~10-15, don't remember exactly.

Consider leaving the top open, at least partially.

C
      Would a cutout over the projector fan around 5 by 5 inches be good enough? Also, up front there is an opening for the lense, with cut with a 1 inch bigger radius, a square cutout 1 by 5 inces for the buttons, and a 2 inch hole in back for the video cable.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Well, most projectors shed a great deal of heat off the top, though not all. I was making an assumption when I suggested no top that may not be so useful after I poked around looking at some projectors. You're going to need to take care to supplement and maintain the natural airflow of the projector by adding hushbox airflow so it doesn't try to make it go the other way or something.

As long as you have enough space around the projector and adequate airflow in the correct direction... it's a tricky game regardless. Just take care with it.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"