X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wrz0170
    • Jan 2006

1st DIY Sub

Hi everyone,

In one of my newbie threads about the Modula, I mentioned that I was making a sub using the Dayton 12" RSS315HF and the 500w amp, Dayton HPSA500. I would like to share what I did.

It is finally done and exceeds all expectations as far as looks and sound. Because I am very new to DIY speaker building, I still struggle to figure out what all the charts I see mean and all the dizzying numbers and math. What I CAN say, after putting in the War of the Worlds and listening, one word comes to mind. WOW. By way of comparison, I had a stock JBL 130W, dual 8" sub. I think the specs had it around 40hz+. Oh and there really is no comparison between the two.

Some particulars:

It's an 18" cube using 45 deg. miters for joinery.

I used the look of The Drake for the looks as I really liked the chamfered look.

I used the dimensions at Zaph Audio for my construction.

The finish was done by a friend of mine who did a fantastic job. He did 2 coats of sanding sealer, 2 base coats of black paint and 2 coats of textured black paint.

Anyway, here are some pics of my finished sub. the whitish stuff around the driver is paper towel fuzz when I tried to wipe some of the MDF dust off. Talk about a pain to get the stuff off.

Images not available

Thanks for looking!

William
    p.s. can't wait to start on the Modulas
    Last edited by theSven; 15 August 2023, 14:33 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image links
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Looks quite nice, William! :T

I just got a batch of the 10" RS265HF in, wish I could start working on them this weekend, but the day job is interfering. You did a nice job and the cabinet, and the finish your friend did looks fine in these pictures!

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

ist that white stripe along the side in the first picture just glare?
      It looks really nice, and that cone is very sexy.

Comment

• Bent
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2003

Damb. that looks good.

Comment

• ---k---
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2005

Wow, I'm starting to get embarrassed of my subs and thinking about taking the pictures down. Those look sooooo good. What was the black texture paint that you used?
          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• wrz0170
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
            Wow, I'm starting to get embarrassed of my subs and thinking about taking the pictures down. Those look sooooo good. What was the black texture paint that you used?
            Hi there,

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

The paint can be found at Home Depot. The name escapes me right now. I have seen it in the spray paint section.

William

Comment

• MrPorterhouse
              • Dec 2005

WOW, that subs looks great. Nice Job. How low does this sub extend? Is there any output below 25Hz, or is that about where it rolls off?

By the way, Has anyone done a vented enclosure with this driver and amp combo? That would seem like a very popular project, especially with both on sale right now from PE.

Comment

• wrz0170
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MrPorterhouse
                WOW, that subs looks great. Nice Job. How low does this sub extend? Is there any output below 25Hz, or is that about where it rolls off?
                Not sure yet how low it can go. My buddy is working on getting some test stuff together because I am definitely interested to see where this stacks. As newbie, all I know is that lower means good

One question I have out of curiosity, if one were to buy something reasonably comparable out in the retail world, what would something like this go for? Ball park?

Comment

• MrPorterhouse
                  • Dec 2005

It would probably be ported, and it would have a precison tuned cabinet and port to go for maximum SPL, and it would run about $800-$1000.

Comment

• wrz0170
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by MrPorterhouse
                    It would probably be ported, and it would have a precison tuned cabinet and port to go for maximum SPL, and it would run about $800-$1000.
                    thanks! Once I get some specs on it, I will post them. It's still breaking in, but even now it sounds fantastic. For the first time, I can actually hear the highs and lows of the bass. My old one always sounded like a muffled, one dimensional, sick cow.

Comment

• Geoff
                      • Sep 2004

-->wrz0170
                      Not sure yet how low it can go. My buddy is working on getting some test stuff together because I am definitely interested to see where this stacks. As newbie, all I know is that lower means good
                      wrz0170,
                      Very nice job with your first DIY sub. And yes, I'm quite sure the "SQ" and Extension comparision to your old sub, well there is really none.

When you & your friend take some measurements be sure to include how they were done, Spl meter and test tones, or other. Also where the sub is/was placed, if your using the Plate amps PEQ and or other external PEQ, room size & openings if any, etc. This gives those reading/follwing a slightly better idea of what the sub can do in a room of similar size.
                      No room is the same, but I think you get the idea..

Maybe a before and after PEQ graph, if PEQ is being used.

Again, nice little sub from your pic's and likely not to be your last DIY project..

Regards
                      Geoff Ā„
                      ~{Speak of what you know}~ :huh:

~{Listen to what you don't}~ :nutkick:

Comment

• Mazeroth
                        • Nov 2004

Killer job! I love those Dayton RS subs. I have four now for a dipole project and will definately be buying more.

Comment

• wrz0170
                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Mazeroth
                          Killer job! I love those Dayton RS subs. I have four now for a dipole project and will definately be buying more.
                          Thanks Mazeroth for the kind words! I just ordered the drivers for the Modula MTM (NatalieP), those too are RS series. I guess I will be keeping it in the family for my HT.

Comment

• wrz0170
                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Geoff
                            -->wrz0170

wrz0170,
                            Very nice job with your first DIY sub. And yes, I'm quite sure the "SQ" and Extension comparision to your old sub, well there is really none.

When you & your friend take some measurements be sure to include how they were done, Spl meter and test tones, or other. Also where the sub is/was placed, if your using the Plate amps PEQ and or other external PEQ, room size & openings if any, etc. This gives those reading/follwing a slightly better idea of what the sub can do in a room of similar size.
                            No room is the same, but I think you get the idea..

Maybe a before and after PEQ graph, if PEQ is being used.

Again, nice little sub from your pic's and likely not to be your last DIY project..

Regards
                            Geoff Ā„
                            Thanks Geoff! Good stuff to keep in mind!! I hope to see what it can do. And your right, not my last DIY project. In my previous post, I just ordered the drivers for the Modula MTM project. Can't let my table saw get cold....

Comment

• wrz0170
                              • Jan 2006

Testing

Hey everyone,

Well, my friend brought his "Digital Video Essentials" DVD to see what I could do with it.

Let me qualify that this is the first time I ever tested out speakers, so if I did something wrong or not quite right, please let me know. I want to do it as right as I can with what I have. :T

My "ET" area is about 9 x 14 and I was sitting approx. 7ft. away at a diagnal. My room is actually 25 x 14. The sub is facing the width of the room.

I went under the menu of Bass Management and the 15hz-150hz sweep. I made sure the "Sub" icons were highlighted during testing.

In the sweep, I picked up sound starting at about 24~25hz and it dropped dead at about 130hz. + or - to both of those.

I do have a dB meter available to me. I'm not quite sure how far away it should be, etc. settings, etc.

Again, I welcome input on how I should go about this. Thanks!!!!

William

Comment

• tylerb2002
                                • Feb 2006

Dayton HPSA500

William,

Your sub looks great! How much do you want for it (jk!)

My old subwoofer died, and I was going to rebuild it using the Dayton HPSA500 Amp and MKIII driver. I wanted to ask your experience with the amp's auto on/off feature. I am hesitant to buy the amp, since this feature can't be disabled--and I had very bad experience with my old sub. It would let out a loud *pop* every time it turned on, and to top it off there was a noticeable delay.

In other words, say you're watching a movie. After a 15 minute quiet scene, some music kicks on. After a second or so delay, the sub *pops* on, only to shut off during the next quiet scene (with another pop!). *Very* annoying. Have you had any problems like this with the Dayton amp? Thanks for your help!

Enjoy,

--tb

Comment

• wrz0170
                                  • Jan 2006

Hey TB,

Thank you for the kind words! So far, I haven't experienced anything like you have described. I have put several movies through it now. One movie sticks out that goes from a quiet to explosions real quick and no popping sounds. (movie is U571 during the depth charge scene).

I just got a flyer from P.E. and it appears that there is a sale on the RS subwoofer drivers and the amps.

ie,

The amp I have: HPSA500 normally $298 is now on sale for $240
                                  The driver, RSS315HF, $129.80 is now on sale for $104

The Mark III drivers are also on sale. $20 or more off, depending on which size driver you are buying.

Good prices

Comment

• tylerb2002
                                    • Feb 2006

Thanks for the info. U571 is definitely a good movie to test your sub with!

Just FYI, amp specs say that it takes 10-15 minutes of no signal before the amp goes to standby mode.

Does your flyer happen to say how long the sale will last? I have the amp and 12" MKIII driver in my shopping cart, but was waiting to get wife blessing on a pair of Dayton speaker stands before I purchase. Thanks!

Enjoy,

--tb

Comment

• wrz0170
                                      • Jan 2006

The mini flyer came with my order that arrived yesterday (starting on the Modula MTM project soon ). It says the sale expires Feb 23. You have some time for the spousal approval factor.

The MKIII 12" should be on sale for $135. Reg price is $159.66

Mine was hesitant too, untils she heard it. I think her exact words "wow, that was cool" as the floor beneath her feet shook. :T Leading her to that point was the hard part...

If for some reason, you don't get the sale price in your check out, make sure you call them.

William

Comment

• tylerb2002
                                        • Feb 2006

Luckily, the wife already approved the subwoofer, since it's going in the same cabinet as the one that fried a few weeks ago. (although when I mentioned I was going to look at new ones I did get the comment "I hope the new one will be smaller than the old one"...that was followed by hysterical laughter on my part :rofl: ) The main issue is my old speaker stands...apparently cinder blocks and MDF doesn't fit with the decor 8O

Comment

• wrz0170
                                          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by tylerb2002
                                          Luckily, the wife already approved the subwoofer, since it's going in the same cabinet as the one that fried a few weeks ago. (although when I mentioned I was going to look at new ones I did get the comment "I hope the new one will be smaller than the old one"...that was followed by hysterical laughter on my part :rofl: ) The main issue is my old speaker stands...apparently cinder blocks and MDF doesn't fit with the decor 8O
                                          I got the same thing. "I hope it's smaller than the old one". My old one was a stock JBL. As I said in my first couple of postings of this thread, it was big, it was ugly and always sounded like a sick cow. Zero highs and lows.

My sub is 18" cube for reference. Add another inch or so to height when you factor in the spikes.

You could always slap some primer and some black textured paint to the cinder blocks and MDF :B

Comment

• ---k---
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tylerb2002
                                            I have that exact same problem! My wife HATES my painted black cinder block/MDF entertainment center. Absolutely hates. I've been able to keep it alive for the past five years of marrige by taking her to Ethan Allen and showing her how much what she wants would cost, or by promising a new one when we get a big screen TV.
                                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"