X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madclown99
    • Jul 2005

Sonotube sub orientation?

All of the sonotube subs I've seen/read on DIY pages are downfiring. Are there any drawbacks of putting the tube on its side, making a front firing sub?
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

None other than the fact that the tube itself isn't very strong, so it's easy to dent.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

I read in Make Magazine a while back about Minwax Wood Hardner. IRRC, They said it was excellent for use on cardboard prototypes and such. It gave them a hard outer shell. Has anyone tried this with a sonotube? I know I've seen people discuss using it with MDF, but not cardboard.

Just a thought if durability is a concern.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

The safest thing is to frame it with a ply facade or glue carpet on it.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• madclown99
          • Jul 2005

That's what I had in mind, Thomas. Put the tube on its side, make a rectangular frame with endcaps for ends and bottom and a 1/8" ply bent around the top curve. From the front, it'd be shaped like a half circle sitting on top of a square. The main benefit for me would be not having a couple of 250lb boxes to worry about when I'm moving!

Comment

• J-Dub
            • Jan 2006

Hey MC99,

The last sub I built used 24" sonotube and I covered all sides in 1/2" Birch ply added feet and all to the ply. Driver and ports are front firing. looks like a regular box but it is very large; over 25" square.(EDIT: cubed) It is, however, much lighter than a regular box this size though.
            "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

• Victor
              • Apr 2002

Originally posted by madclown99
              That's what I had in mind, Thomas. Put the tube on its side, make a rectangular frame with endcaps for ends and bottom and a 1/8" ply bent around the top curve. From the front, it'd be shaped like a half circle sitting on top of a square. The main benefit for me would be not having a couple of 250lb boxes to worry about when I'm moving!
              I am pondering the same idea, although I am thinking of boxing the tube completely.

One problem as I see it, is that the overall weight of the tube inside 1/8 ply frame is quite light. The good thing, - you can easily lift it and move it around. The bad thing, - it will definitely ‘walk’ around the room, particularly if the driver used is like what I have here, - the Avalanche 15.

I am considering putting 2 drivers at the opposite ends of the tube/box to take advantage of force cancellation. This way the sub should remain where it is intended to stay. I suppose one can also anchor it, but it creates other problems.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"