X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kgveteran
    • Oct 2005

12db/oct line level filter

What are your thoughts on this.My subs are xover at 80hz.The processor does this electronically @ 24db/oct.

My mains are also xover via the processor at 80hz , but at 12db/oct. Is it possible to get a line level 80hz 12db/oct filter to add to the one that is already in the processor ? Is it desirable to have matched filters for the mains and subs ?
    My processor has fixer values for the slopes, that stinks. Is a 80hz 12db/oct line level filter that difficult to build? Just a thought.
    Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

80 Hz high pass at 2nd order is done in the assumption that the "mains" will be rolling off at a similar rate (as most smallish sealed speakers do) and the combination of the speaker roll off and the mains crossover will yeild something close to a net 4th order roll off; lightly less roll off in the mains generally yeilding a slightly warmer sound in the midbass.

If your mains had a full 24 dB/octave roll off, then your mains speakers would have to be dead flat to at least 40 Hz to avoid have a small suckout on the crossover region. Some compromises are more preferrable than others. Most people prefer a slightly more rubenesque bass between 50-80 than a dip in that area. Hence, that's how many HT receivers are configured when cost constraints dictate a fixed crossover approach.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• kgveteran
      • Oct 2005

Thanx for the explaination Jon.
      Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"