X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gimpy
    • Sep 2004

want to replace "new" old speakers

A little background--I have recently finished building a sub (PE's 15 in. Quatro Pro just last week) and last midsummer, kit 281's for my mains and a Triune for a center channel. I am planning on giving these to my son when he gets home at the end of this year from a church mission (It was he that first talked me into building the 281's because they had the "bigger" woofers over other smaller kits).

Now, I am thinking about replacing these with more diy speakers. My "MAIN" concern is that I get some that are/sound (I know that is "individual", but I will trust your judgement) as good/better (upgraditis) than the 281's within reason (price wise). I think that the 281's sound really good. I have been looking at both the modula mtm and the Natalie P's, but as always, money is a big concern. From what I've read, the mtm's are about $400/each and the Nat P's about $200/each? How do each of these compare to the 281's in sound/value? The other speaker kit that I was looking at is the gr research AV3, priced, I think, in line with the Nat P's? Can you give me a comparison with these (pm me please if there is a problem with doing something like this publicly).

I do plan on eventually building another sub to go with these. At first when I mentioned the cost of the modula's to the wife, she nixed it, but has softened some since then, so they may well be in the price range if they are a "that much better" sounding speaker than the others that I named.

Sorry for such a long, rattling post. I don't mean to offend anyone and hope I haven't with this question/post.

TIA, Frank
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A quick and dirty answer.....

Either of Jon's designs is going to be more revealing of the source material compared to the other designs you mentioned.

Jon's designs won't have the "punch" of the 281 since that's their claim to fame.

If you're used to the output level from the 281's then you're going to want a MTM with larger woofers than the AV3.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"