X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

MDF Thickness

I was building some templates (more on that later) and did some measuring for router bit depth, and noticed my double-thickness 3/4" MDF template was not 1.5" as I had figured. In fact, it was a good deal thicker (like 1/8"+).

Am I just blind and 3/4" MDF always been thicker than 3/4", or is this a weird batch?
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"
  • Dennis H
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Aug 2002

Depends on where you buy the MDF. Some of the big box stores sell metric stuff and call it 3/4". It may measure more or less than 3/4" depending on when you buy it and what supplier they used that day.

Comment

• maximumshow
      • Nov 2004

I have gotten into trouble too by assuming that it is exactly 3/4". Some stuff I have used is about 1/16"th less.

Comment

• PMazz
        • May 2001

Depends on the moisture content as well. I like to acclimate MDF before fabrication and then again, before final flat sanding of butt joints (so any moisture from glue can dissipate).

You can test the MDF by cutting off 2 narrow strips, maybe an inch wide by a foot long. Bring 1 inside and let acclimate (or bake in oven) and leave the other in the shop. By comparing the 2 samples, you'll be able to guage the moisture content. Depending on the board, and how and where it was stored, you'd be surprised how much it can shrink. Our stuff comes from a warehouse right next to the RR lines. Sometimes it's still off-gassing when we get it.

Pete
        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Paul H
          • Feb 2004

Pete, you don't sleep in much either do you ..

Paul

Comment

• Brian Bunge
            Super Senior Member
            • Nov 2001

Hell, my crazy work schedule this last week has my body all screwed up. I passed out at 10pm last night and was wide awake at 4:30 this morning. I finally gave up and decided to see what was going on around here. Nice to see I'm in good company!

P.S. Pete, did you get my email with my shipping address? Just double-checking!

Comment

• PMazz
              • May 2001

P.S. Pete, did you get my email with my shipping address? Just double-checking!
              Yea, but I forgot I still had to buff them out. Did that yesterday and got them boxed up to ship next week. There's one glob that got on the back panel near the terminal holes. Hope it's OK.

Pete
              Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

Originally posted by Paul H
                Pete, you don't sleep in much either do you ..

Paul
                I wish I could! Seems like the internal clock chimes at 6 AM no matter the day. Today it was 5. Must be a space time continuum thing going on.

Pete
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Brian Bunge
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2001

Pete,

I doubt the glob will be an issue, especially on the back. Once the cabinet is in place no one will ever see it anyway!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"