X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jed
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Apr 2005

ESS AMT1 "Great Heil" tweeters

I contacted ESS, and it appears these tweeters can be purchased again. I had the experience of hearing these tweeters recently, and although the specs aren't "perfect" the sound is magical. I'm considering buying a pair to try with a W22EX midrange and RS225s woofer. I think this system would be awesome. The AMT tweeter just produces so much life and air around subtle detail it is almost ghost-like. Some claim the newer Raven ribbon technology is better or new domes measure better- but man do these tweeters sound amazing. I'm interested in knowing more about your experiences with the AMT1. I've used ER4, but they just don't compare IMO.

Jed

PS- JohnL check your pm :T
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Yep they have a very distinctive sound. You might want to actually measure a pair before deciding on the remaining components

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

They are large , never heard one though. Can you describe differences between ER4 and the big Heil?

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by TacoD
        They are large , never heard one though. Can you describe differences between ER4 and the big Heil?

I didn't get a chance to A/B compare the ER4 to the big Heil, but based on my experiences I would have to say the ESS reproduced sounds around the tone- more resolution of microdynamics, where the ER4 would just produce part of the sound. Where the ER4 is neutral and unoffensive, the ESS could be called natural, which is neutral but with the added nuances of real acoustic performances. There was presence and an uncanny amount a realism. I haven't been this blown away by a tweeter in a looooong time. The measurements that I have seen suggest a high directionality at the top end, which may be true but it didn't take away from the music. The ESS is "fast" and deserves a fast midrange with low distortion. This suggests a W22EX midrange, since the ESS can be crossed pretty low with steep slopes. I need to listen more to determine how effective the ESS is below 2K, but my first impression is very good indeed.

Jed

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Here is some data I found on the internet. Thoughts? Does anyone have distortion data on these?

I spent some time comparing my friends system that uses AMT1 and my system that uses OW1. I'm wondering if it is the low crossover point that is the main advantage- that is, using a good tweeter to cover the range from 1.3K on up, versus my sytem where the OW1 is used above 2.2K.

Jed
          Attached Files

Comment

• TacoD
            Super Senior Member
            • Feb 2004

In my experience tweeters with a large surface sound less strained. Also crossing < 1500Hz give more spacious sound (better radiation?).

Comment

• JohnL
              • Dec 2004

Hey Jed,

I would agree that they definately have a 'sound' that is very agreeable. I'm not entirely sure what produces that, but they sound nice to my ears. I have a couple of designs here that use Fountek metal ribbons (old JP2 and JP3) and they don't sound the same. Nice, but not as good as the AMT. I also have a set of ER4s here, but I can't say I ever listened to them. They belong to a project that's a bit further down on the list. I sent you a couple of emails, which I guess you haven't received. There is some measurements, some thoughts, some warnings and a crossover diagram for the RS225/AMT combo. Check your mailbox or perhaps they got caught in a spam filter somewhere, they had 2 attachments; a jpg and a zip file.

John

Comment

• mikec
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Jed
                Here is some data I found on the internet.
                I was disappointed to find the two sets of AMT1 drivers I purchased directly from ESS measured quite differently than some of the published curves that I had seen on the web. My correspondence with two others who also purchased the drivers confirmed that my measurements were indicative of what ESS is currently selling. YMMV.

Comment

• Jed
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Apr 2005

Mike,

That is really bad news. What do you think is causing that dip? I noticed the new tweeters have a slightly different element that has a protective covering-fabric. I wonder if that is the problem. I asked ESS if the current AMT1 is the same as the vintage tweeter and they replied that it's the same and is used in their current speakers as well...

Jed

Comment

• mikec
                    • Mar 2005

Jed, It appears to be a cavity resonance. My measurements were taken nearfield and there is a good chance that the response will flatten out at a distance. I plan to take more measurements when I have more free time. Cheers, Mike

Comment

• JohnL
                      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mikec
                      Jed, It appears to be a cavity resonance. My measurements were taken nearfield and there is a good chance that the response will flatten out at a distance. I plan to take more measurements when I have more free time. Cheers, Mike
                      FOAM is your friend! Some little wedges of acoustic foam in the V does wonders to flatten the response out.

I bought some new AMTs from ESS as well. I haven't measured them yet, but they sound pretty close. How they look, is another question. It looks to me like they pulled a mold off an older AMT and the mold wasn't that great. Thinner plastic, rough casting, thown together. Don't get me started on ESS, I will never do business with them again. It's a shame, because I love the AMT so much. If I ever need any more I'm buying them from Ebay.

John

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by JohnL
                        FOAM is your friend! Some little wedges of acoustic foam in the V does wonders to flatten the response out.

I bought some new AMTs from ESS as well. I haven't measured them yet, but they sound pretty close. How they look, is another question. It looks to me like they pulled a mold off an older AMT and the mold wasn't that great. Thinner plastic, rough casting, thown together. Don't get me started on ESS, I will never do business with them again. It's a shame, because I love the AMT so much. If I ever need any more I'm buying them from Ebay.

John
                        John,

Could you send me a picture of the new tweeter? Does it look like the tweeter they have on their webpage? It's hard to see it in detail.

Mike,

Do you have the same quality issues?-- Just wondering if I should take a chance with ESS or not. Who knows when a pair of mint condition ESS AMT will come on ebay again.

Comment

• noah katz
                          • Dec 2005

I don't see the AMT listed separately on the site.

Interesting that in their own systems they cross them so low - 800 Hz.

How much are they?

Thanks
                          ------------------------------
                          Noah

Comment

• Curly Woods
                            • Dec 2005

ESS AMT on EBay

Originally posted by Jed
                            John,

Could you send me a picture of the new tweeter? Does it look like the tweeter they have on their webpage? It's hard to see it in detail.

Mike,

Do you have the same quality issues?-- Just wondering if I should take a chance with ESS or not. Who knows when a pair of mint condition ESS AMT will come on ebay again.

I did a search on EBay last night and found a pair up for auction. ESS AMT did the trick. Cheap so far.
                            Mike Mastin

Comment

• Jed
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by noah katz
                              I don't see the AMT listed separately on the site.

Interesting that in their own systems they cross them so low - 800 Hz.

How much are they?

Thanks
                              $150 each. I think they cross them over too low- from what I understand there is a lot of distortion below 1000hz.

Comment

• noah katz
                                • Dec 2005

Thanks.

Hmm, maybe a waveguide to lower the distortion.
                                Noah

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by noah katz
                                  Thanks.

Hmm, maybe a waveguide to lower the distortion.
                                  They sorta have a waveguide because of the way the magnets are structured, but what was your idea for the shape of a different waveguide? Distortion is pretty low all the way to 1000HZ, from what I've heard from various people who saw the tests in Klang and Ton/Hobby Hifi. I took a chance and ordered a pair today actually- money order sent. I've had a few people email and tell me I have nothing to worry about... so lets hope they are right.

Comment

• noah katz
                                    • Dec 2005

I just started reading about waveguides so I don't know how to design one, but they have many nice advantages:

1) Greater directivity to lessen sidewall reflections in my long, narrow room

2) Greater efficiency, which may really be the focusing effect of 1), as opposed to the actual increase in electrical to sound energy conversion that a horn gives

3) Lower power compression and distortion
                                    Noah

Comment

• mikec
                                      • Mar 2005

Since mine have been sitting idle collecting dust I'd consider selling them to anyone interested. This pair was purchased new from ESS not long ago and have seen no use. PM me with offers if interested. Cheers, Mike

Click on image for full-size photo.

Comment

• Jed
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by mikec
                                        Since mine have been sitting idle collecting dust I'd consider selling them to anyone interested. This pair was purchased new from ESS not long ago and have seen no use. PM me with offers if interested. Cheers, Mike

Click on image for full-size photo.

Say it aint so... I just sent payment to ESS today- oh well someone else will have to get a deal. Just don't let them go too cheap otherwise I'll feel REALLY bad....

Comment

• CraigJ
                                          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jed
                                          Say it aint so... I just sent payment to ESS today- oh well someone else will have to get a deal. Just don't let them go too cheap otherwise I'll feel REALLY bad....
                                          Jed, did you ever receive these?

Craig

oops, found this from your later;

"I'll start. I've tried 3-ways with W22, W15CH, OW1, then RS225, W15LY, OW1, then RS225, W15LY, and C12, and currently I am using the RS225 with ESS AMT tweeter. I'm thinking about exploring a speaker with either (A) dual RS225, Peerless 883, and Accuton C24 in a Wilson Sophia type enclosure, or an (B) opus clone with a single RS225, C79, and C12. I'd imagine option A would have more SPL potential, but option B might be more refined. I also like the idea of using newer driver designs, so option A would be interesting in that regard as well. So let me know what you think about these 2 options and what you are working on as well.

Because of my recent success with the ESS Heil tweeter, it has me thinking more about dipole B&G RD series drivers."

Jed, never mind, I guess the question is, did you like the Heil Tweeter, and how would you compare it to your current projects?

Thanks,

Craig

Comment

• Jed
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2005

Hi Craig,

I've heard a few versions of the ESS AMT1. The older version sounded better to me than the new one, but I see now (it's 2009) ESS is back in business with a new production run. I have no idea how they will compare until I test them or if I decide to pick up a pair from PE. I've designed a lot of speakers since that last post in 2006, so it's a bit hard for me to compare these tweeters to my new designs having not listened to an AMT1 for along time.

Jed

Comment

• ThomasW
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Years back Nelson Pass posted about the sonics of the various materials used to make the diaphragms. Here's what he said....
                                              As I recall the original Heil diaphragms were polyethylene, not Mylar or Teflon. These later materials were tougher, but never sounded as good.
                                              Since I have no choice I'll take the newer more rugged Mylar diaphragms...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• CraigJ
                                                • Feb 2006

I don't know how much of this became reality, but according to Ricky's (of ESS) post from 08-07. #76 from DIYAudio:

"My name is Ricky caudillo
                                                ESS is back in the U.S.A we are making the diaphragms to the original patent WE HAVE 1107S IN STOCK We will have more models available soon.
                                                Please give me a call 310-962-0114 will give you more details.
                                                We moved every thing from Sacramento to southern California we are in the process of relocating the Germany operation back to los Angeles

Leo David the original owner wants to keep it here

So pass the word out we are back

Thank you

Ricky caudillo

post at Diyaudio, on 09-07 Post #89
                                                "hello
                                                as for the material we will go back to the original mylar as per
                                                oskar hiel patint the circut is a double sided we have made all new tooling to the original specs.
                                                thank you
                                                ricky
                                                ess"

Craig

Comment

• el_seven
                                                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                                  Years back Nelson Pass posted about the sonics of the various materials used to make the diaphragms. Here's what he said....Since I have no choice I'll take the newer more rugged Mylar diaphragms...
                                                  They're not as bright as the older diaphragms and the old units are available a-plenty. I bought the new ESS ribbons recently and pulled the old diaphragms out to find this the case. The old ones went back in! If you want a new pair of mylar diaphragms, you can buy mine from me.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Aug 2000

To each their own......

Others have posted they prefer the sonic quality of the new diaphragms over the old ones.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"