X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Think prioirity and resources. Don't know who's producing this for PE, whether it's Usher or someone else in Taiwan. Production run get's scheduled based on overall loading. When business is good, leadtimes are long, because the factory is already filled.

Example: we've been building a new power semiconductor fab in Malayasia which should start production in early 2007. It's been in construction already a year and a half roughly. It will be the largest power semiconductor devoted fab in the world when completed. Until it's completed, availability one some of our products is experiencing progressively longer leadtimes, due to capacity limitations.

If this is based on an existing Usher product like the RS28a was, there is some test and re-test of the prototype, but the design fundamentals are in place- it's the fine tuning or tweaking, which can consume quite a bit of time- such as the development of the Ayre Signature series interconnects, which are produced by Cardas for Ayre, but which took several iterations before the final manufactured design was "just right".

Speculation is fun, but that's all it is. The published plots look quite exceptional for a hard dome mid (just look at an MB 2" driver if you've got one laying around- I used to work with those in the 90's), so for those who like domes, this should be quite nice.

Can you spell, "M8ta Update time"? :B

I.E., I'm going to convert the M8ta from a quasi Eclipse Klone to closer to an Ascent Klone.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Marzen
      • Jul 2005

Matt,
      Do you have any rough figures yet for your TMWW? I've only gotten so far as some initial enclosure sizes, xo points, alignment, & driver spacing. All of which led to some detailed questions I'll have to research in order to get around some not so ideal circumstances. :roll:
      Ward
      What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?

Comment

• MattB
        • Dec 2005

Well I have 3 of the 2" domes coming, they should be here tomorrow. I got the third because the thought of making a center channel crossed my mind once or twice. I was thinking of something like a WWT/MWW with the RS180's, the RS52an, and the 22taf/g, and it is going to be very large, like 42"w, 22"d, and 12" tall. I need it this big because I am going to incorperate it into the stand I am making for the T.V., which after this summer will hopefully be a 34" sony XBR tube.

As for your question Ward, I am not really sure what you are asking. If you were wondering if I had done any measurements yet, then the answer would be no, but hopefully I will get those done in a few weeks. I am kinda pressed for time right now because of work, school (finals are coming up), and I am also going to be moving in a few weeks, so I have alot on my plate right now.

Matt

(edited for spelling)
        Last edited by MattB; 17 April 2006, 14:32 Monday.

Comment

• MattB
          • Dec 2005

I received the mids in the mail today and they look pretty sweet, they are a little bigger than I expected though. I would have to say that the domes are probably closer to 2.5" to 2.75" in diameter, they are definately bigger than 2". So I suppose I better plug on in and see how it sounds.

Comment

• Marzen
            • Jul 2005

I ordered one just now. Don't know when I'll get to mess with it as home projects have moved up on the 'to do' list for probably another 2-3 wks.
            Ward

Comment

• MattB
              • Dec 2005

Well I got a new sound card for my computer, a M-Audio Audiophile 2496, and I also got the UB802 mixer. I am however having problems getting everything calibrated in Speaker workshop. Basically just the calibration of the amplifier, no matter what I do the amplitude when I create the sine wave is always way to high, its not clipping or anything, but no matter if I have my amp on or off it is always the same. Maybe I have something wired wrong, but I really have no idea. Any help on this would be super.

Comment

• Marzen
                • Jul 2005

Matt, which amp - speaker/driver or mic preamp? I haven't used SW, but I imagine the procedures are similar for all warez.

Comment

• dlr
                  • Feb 2005

Got mine in. I'm impressed on initial tests

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                  Sigh.... typical dome mid problem, doesn't go very low. But the upper end looks pretty flat and extended- 3 kHz upper crossover would be a cake walk.

Wonder what the distortion is like?
                  They are limited at the low end, one reason I normally shy away from this kind of mid. The "mod" bug bit me, so I've got two of them.

I'm eagerly awaiting Mark's distortion tests as well. I haven't thought through what other drivers to use, but the tweeter side has lots of options given the upper end response. I'm not as concerned about CTC as others. If you listen far enough away, it's not the issue some make it out to be. Just look at all of those early designs that are so often still called "musical" today and check out the spacing that was common then.

The diameter of the RS52 is almost exactly that of the 13M/8640. I crossed that to several tweeters up to 4.5K L-R 4 and never had any issues for seated listening. I don't listen close and above the design axis most of the time. The bigger issue, IMO, is the low end.

I'll be working on a web page after a bit. For now, I've got some initial SPL measurements to post. I haven't measured the second in the pair, but I'm expecting very good unit-to-unit consistency. That's one advantage of hard domes.

And of course I couldn't resist experimenting right away. I've got more to do, but here's the first run. The mod isn't just the usual and a quck off-axis response is similarly good. I need to do more testing to find the optimal. It's too bad, though, that I can't open it up to get behind the dome.

The peak is almost precisely on 13K. It seems to be breakup that is close to the former attachment area. I have an idea on mitigating that to an extent, but it would not be reversible.

Dave's Speaker Pages

Comment

• dwk
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by dlr
                    It's too bad, though, that I can't open it up to get behind the dome.
                    Yeah, I was disappointed in this as well.
                    The peak is almost precisely on 13K. It seems to be breakup that is close to the former attachment area. I have an idea on mitigating that to an extent, but it would not be reversible.
                    Well, depending on how these guys sound, they're probably cheap enough that sacrificing a unit or two to experimental mods would be feasible. I had that thought on trying to get behind the dome - it might be possible to pry the 'top plate' off. It would probably be fatal, but maybe not....

FR looks really good. I haven't had a chance to measure yet - if distortion is good, these could be very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"