Recommendations for Center Channel DIY (reference CC)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssabripo
    • Dec 2005

Recommendations for Center Channel DIY (reference CC)?

Well guys,

I'm done with my sub design and onto building it....but the DIY mod bug has REALLY hit me hard!!!

NEXT: a big reference level Center channel!!! One that has good depth perception, excellent imaging, audiophile voice reproduction, and some decent extension in the low freqs (good reproduction down to 80hz). These are some of the ones I've heard that I'm really wanting to mimic:

Aerial Acoustics CC5:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cc5b2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	948286

Rockets RSC200 "Bigfoot":

Name:	5-5BigFootUndressed.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	948285

Patman's DIY Center:

Name:	130-4264.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	948287

B&W HTM3S:

Name:	HTM3S_GRILLEOFF.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	948288

I'm thinking of using Vifa tweeters, and either Hi-Vi, Seas, Athom, or similar mids and woofers.....but I really need recommendations.

one other thing, I completely SUCK at X-overs...hopefully you guys can lend a hand.... :T
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 11:28 Thursday. Reason: Update image location
    My simple HT setup
    4π using LMS, anyone?
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

You suck at crossovers, eh?

You any good at taking accurate measurements? Because if you're not, the first order of business is to find someone that is OR to pick a design we've already published. The RS based center channels in this thread might be the ticket.

Without measurements, a crossover for the random driver assortment you pick isn't going to have the luck, and I don't really know how much enthusiasm you'll find among the crossover gurus here for trying.

Of course, the other part of the equation is that you really should use the same drivers all across the front - center and mains. And, a single channel isn't likely to image much. Mono just doesn't manage to pull that off, somehow. Your list of "wants" is largely related to stereo operation (or more).

C
    Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 11:29 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide url
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ssabripo
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjd
      You suck at crossovers, eh?

You any good at taking accurate measurements? Because if you're not, the first order of business is to find someone that is OR to pick a design we've already published. The RS based center channels in this thread might be the ticket.

Without measurements, a crossover for the random driver assortment you pick isn't going to have the luck, and I don't really know how much enthusiasm you'll find among the crossover gurus here for trying.

Of course, the other part of the equation is that you really should use the same drivers all across the front - center and mains. And, a single channel isn't likely to image much. Mono just doesn't manage to pull that off, somehow. Your list of "wants" is largely related to stereo operation (or more).

C

is not that I don't know how, but I really suck at Xovers because I want to get all nifty and super complicated with them..... :P ... A masters from Georgia Tech will do that to ya! arrrgh.....just a first order butterworth, why not?! lol

the link you posted doesn't work....

my mains are Swan Diva 6.1s, which has the Hi-Vi drivers.....they also are VERY close to the Rockets 750/760s, and having listened to the "bigfoot" center at my place, it matched beautifully! so the Athom and Vifa combo will do fine I would think.

I can take measurements...what do you have in mind? :B
      Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 11:29 Thursday. Reason: Update quote
      My simple HT setup
      4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

Here's the dayton center MTM and here's the WMTW
        Those would be faster(no nights up until 3AM) but it would probably beneficial if you want to build other speakers to get the tests, build the crossover, and build it all yourself.
        Last edited by theSven; 17 August 2023, 11:30 Thursday. Reason: Update htguide urls

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

I corrected the link, but Keith got the right one too.

Crossover is going to impact voicing.

If you can measure, pick your drivers, get your box designed and built, and get stuff measured. If you have all that put together, it's usually not difficult to find someone that'll do some crossover work. Though exactly what you'll get from different folks can differ greatly.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"