X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eeweh
    • Jan 2006

Help on HT MT and MTM builds

This is my first post and I'm a noob at this stuff, so I'm sorry if I sound stupid some times.

First off, I've got a 12" RS-HF Sub that I'm going to tackle after getting these built, so I am planning on being able to use a dedicated subwoofer with these. I thought this might be necessary info for the questions I'm asking below.

Anyhow, my plan was to build the Dr. K from Parts Express showcase, but use the Natalie P. crossover. So, this means that I'm using the PE 1.0 cuft. box. Should I port these exactly like the Dr. K's suggest?

Now, I'd like to do a center and surrounds also using the PE RS tweet and Mid and I gather from reading that it would be best to have an MT design ( the one Jon proposed seems to be what I want). Is this correct? Does this mean I can get the 0.75 cuft. box for all of these, or is it possible to get a smaller box for the surrounds and maybe go with the 5" RS Mids rather than the 7" for them. I would like the surrounds to be wall mounted because of my dogs, so that is why I'm thinking about going with something smaller for the surrounds. Also, how do I port these as well?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This looks to be fun, but the first time seems sorta daunting!

Thanks,

Elliott
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

So, this means that I'm using the PE 1.0 cuft. box. Should I port these exactly like the Dr. K's suggest?
    That's fine.

IMO you should have matching L>C>R, if there's enough room and $$$

5" drivers don't move very much air, and a MT with them is going to run out of gas if the room has any size to it. Also we haven't designed any systems using those 5" drivers, so there's nothing to copy.

Most of the time there's no reason to port effects speakers. Use the small setting and redirect all the bass to your sub

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
      • Nov 2004

I am still interested in the bassbin version of the Modula. (EDIT:I need one or two Behringer x-overs, huh? Ah, shit! And two to four new amps. )

Thomas, if I wanted to tackle that and was going for matching L/C/Rs for my HT, how would I go about the center channel? Would I lay the bassbin on top of the center that is on top of my RPTV? Or would I have to just go with one of the WTMW centers like I have now? (Adire LCC)
      My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Somewhere down the road I'm pretty sure I'll be doing a WTMW with RS180 as W and RS125 as M, but I don't quite know *when* yet.

For center, the Natalie P is probably close enough to good for most situations. The Modula MT may also be a good match though, since the crossover is related to the Nat P.

Surrounds, the Modula MT would be a great match I think. There's a TM with the RS150 around (and I will probably get around to publishing my adaptation of my RS150 MTM crossover to TM one of these days). RS125 doesn't buy you much over the RS150, but does lose you a little bit.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Scott,

I wouldn't bother with a bass bin for the center. I know there's some low bass encoded in the center but using the small setting to redirect it should do the job.

If the budget permits built Jon's center design. It's a good acoustic match for the MTM mains

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Scott Simonian
            • Nov 2004

I wouldn't bother with a bass bin for the center. I know there's some low bass encoded in the center but using the small setting to redirect it should do the job.
            Lol. Well, I was planning on running them small with the bass bins. Prolly cross at 60hz instead of my current 80hz. Or just keep it the same. I was going to use the bass bins for added headroom/lower distortion in the bandwidth of the speaker. I remember yall talking about the Modula MTM with a the dual Dayton Reference 12's in a bass bin. The idea was awesome and would suit me well. But I didn't know what to do for the center. Its not that I want deep bass ability in each channel (I would need a lot more money) but just enhanced fidelity and headroom and such. If it would be too complicated then I could just skip it. I still need to upgrade my subwoofer system. I still just using one subwoofer. *sigh* I need to get with the times. Heh heh.
            My Sound Splinter 18's each in 25cuft boxes w/ EP2500

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"