X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madclown99
    • Jul 2005

LCR Meter

Would this LCR meter be adequate for measuring parts for a XO? Specifically, for unwinding inductors to the desired value... I'm no electrician, but these items look easy to use:

1. http://cgi.ebay.ca/LCR-RCL-INDUCTANC...QQcmdZViewItem

2. http://cgi.ebay.ca/Palm-size-LCR-MET...QQcmdZViewItem
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

A good LCR is invaluable for that kind of work. I doubt however that a $30 meter is going to be very accurate. If there's some way to calibrate it against an inductor of a known value that would be helpful

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• madclown99
      • Jul 2005

Thomas, I'll be building the Modula MTMs and Jon's center channel. The XOs call for some inductor values off the product list. I was going to buy the higher values and unwind them to the suggested value. Would Solen's inductors be accurate enough to use for calibration? Since this is my 1st project, I figure it'd be best to stick to the details as close as possible.

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Yep you could use one of the Solens as a control.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• madclown99
          • Jul 2005

That's what I wanted to know. Thanks, Thomas.

:T

Comment

• Dennis H
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Aug 2002

I dunno about an ebay seller in Hong Kong unless that's where you live. For a little more, you can buy an Elenco LCM-1950 from a US supplier. It does LCR as well as volts, amps and a frequency counter. Parts Express wants $95 but I've seen them much cheaper on the web.

Hmmm, I just checked and C&S Sales has them for $60. The low price seemed suspicious so I went to the Elenco page and they are listed as an authorized dealer. And (big surprise) C&S and Elenco have the same mailing address so I guess they're okay.

Comment

• madclown99
              • Jul 2005

Dennis, I have the same thoughts on sellers from China/Hong Kong, which is why I was still debating on putting in a bid today until I read your post. Thanks for the link!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"