X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • derekbannatyne
    • Jan 2006

DIY Sub Parts List

Besides the Amp, Driver, MDF, and Port, what other materials would I need and how much do they cost? Thanks.
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

You need something to mount the driver. Some people just use coarse thread drywall screws, which are cheap, but huricaine nuts or t-nuts and some bolts aren't that much more and work a little better.

You'll need some damping material.

Primer/paint or vaneer.

Speaker wire and sub cable.

Gasket for the driver.

Wood glue.

If you want to properly calibrate it, you'll need a SPL meter or a mic and some sort of eq. if your amp doesn't have one. This isn't a necessity, but will make a huge difference in the overall sound of the finished project.

That's all I can think of for now. Price will vary greatly but to get a rough idea you can just go to the partsexpress website and do some shopping.

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

Looking in my box of crap for PE:
      grill cloth?
      terminal cup or binding posts
      spikes
      BFD
      RCA->1/4" adaptors for the BFD or pro amp.

Don't worry, once you get the order, you will realize you missed one part and have to order again.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• derekbannatyne
        • Jan 2006

haha, so what you're basically saying is take you're estimated total and add about $50 to that? I was looking at around $214 for the driver, amp, 2 1/2 pieces of MDF, and a 20" 6in diameter port. So maybe around $250 total total?

Comment

• J-Dub
          • Jan 2006

I,d say about $300 considering you have everything else for $214. You never know when dooing it yourself Broken bits (first time running a router through mdf), extra glue, odds and ends you may not have IE: clamps etc..

When I built a 12" Dayton sub for a friend the budget was $500 after all was said and done it was about $650.

Go For It ! theres nothing more accomplishing IMO than building a speaker.

P.S. I think I went back to Lowes like 3 more times for glue each time thinking I had enough
          "The most successful people in this world have also failed the most"

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"