This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nerd of nerds
    • Sep 2005

John just tested the new aurasound tweeter and has measurements on his site...

Seems like it would be an excellent candidate for this project if it were sandwiched between two pieces of pvc similar to the "tweeter" on the pluto... just screw it between two pieces of pvc and sand down the tabs on the sides...bam! coax...

It has pretty dang good distortion numbers but it would need a pretty highish xo point for a 7 or 8 inch driver :-/

Comment

• AJINFLA
      • Mar 2005

Eric, thanks again for the coax review. Yes, SEAS seems to be trending that way as well. I would rather a metal/ceramic dome as well, but that new OX looks tasty IMHO. Perhaps an OEM will request a rigid version? We'll see.
      As NoN points out, there is a new Aura that looks pretty nice, although John's CSD shows a little drama on the lower end IIRC.
      I'm not quite sure what NoN is referring to with the PVC, unless he means extending the pole as a phase plug with the tweeter on the end. No good for load, directivity, etc. if so.

cheers,

AJ
      Manufacturer

Comment

• nerd of nerds
        • Sep 2005

I basically meant mounting the tweeter on a small piece of pvc that would fit inside the voice coil former on top of the pole piece but I guess this is a bad idea(?).

Would you care to elaborate why this wouldn't work well? I'm new at this (still...) and would like to know...

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

NON, scroll to the bottom of this page Coax unassembled and then tell me how you PVC is incorporated into the design using the Aura for example.
          You might only need a spacer to raise the edge of the horn to VC edge height, so pvc could be used, or maybe some dense felt.

cheers,

AJ
          Manufacturer

Comment

• nerd of nerds
            • Sep 2005

i'll whip something up in PS really quick...post will be edited to inclue my diagram...

Comment

• nerd of nerds
              • Sep 2005

Image not available

Basically the point of the PVC would be to provide a mounting surface for the tweeter since it doesn't screw in from the back like the seas. it would also be able to move it up a little bit so it is lined up well with the cone of the woofer...
              Last edited by theSven; 29 July 2023, 22:31 Saturday. Reason: Remove broken image link

Comment

• DS-21
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by nerd of nerds

Image not available

Basically the point of the PVC would be to provide a mounting surface for the tweeter since it doesn't screw in from the back like the seas. it would also be able to move it up a little bit so it is lined up well with the cone of the woofer...

Another interesting approach would be to incorporate the tweeter into a phase plug, along the lines of one of the drivers I've wanted to hear since I first read about it, the Eckmiller O15.

Click image for larger version  Name:	09.jpg Views:	0 Size:	152.5 KB ID:	946411

Click image for larger version  Name:	10.jpg Views:	0 Size:	295.7 KB ID:	946412

Might be interesting, though honestly I think that once coaxes get big enough (>10"), are crossed over appropriately, and not listened to directly on axis I don't hear any problems with that arrangement.
                Last edited by theSven; 29 July 2023, 22:32 Saturday. Reason: Update quote

Comment

• nerd of nerds
                  • Sep 2005

slightly off topic but...how are the "real" seas coaxial drivers? I'm curious as i've been wanting to roll my own speaker for a while instead of mooching off you guy's hard work and a cute coax tower seems like a fun project... :T

Comment

• AJINFLA
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by nerd of nerds
                    You could use just about any material to do that, so yeah, why not PVC?
                    If there is no pole vent like in the woofer drawing shown, where do the wires for the tweeter go?

cheers,

AJ
                    Manufacturer

Comment

• spasticteapot
                      • Mar 2007

I have an L18 without a phase plug (purchased from some speaker-builder) and I'd like to use it in Zaph's most excellent 2-way.

Can someone give me the bits I'd need to reinstall to use it as an L18?

Alternately, I'll trade someone a hacked L18 for an un-hacked one.

Comment

• capslock
                        • Dec 2004

www.intertechnik.de has the original Seas phase plugs, they are about 3€ / piece. Give madisound a call, maybe they carry them but haven't bothered to put them in their catalogue.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"