X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip_g
    • Dec 2005

help with rabbeting.

if, for example, the PE specs state dimension B is 5-3/4 and dimension A is 7-1/8, half the difference between A and B is the size of the bit I want, right?
    In my messed up math world 7.125-5.75=1.375 divided by 2= .6875
    11/16=.6875

that just seems like too mcuh to me for some reason.

I also see that some of you use an upcut bit and it works well for you, but I think I'd prefer to rabbet.
  • jbateman
    • May 2005

Most of the medium sized drivers have a half inch flange. So if you're intent on using a rabbeting bit, you would cut the hole 1" smaller than the outermost dimension, then use a half inch rabbeting bit to form the recess.

Then pray the driver fits in the opening you've created.

Comment

• philip_g
      • Dec 2005

is it best just to ignore the dimensions the MFR gives and just cut the hole 1/2" smaller than the outside edge? Sounds easier to me.

Comment

• BobEllis
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

I'm guessing that you're using the DA175-8. A 1/2" rabbet fine since the screw holes are close enough the the outside edge that they have some grip. It might even be an advantage opening up some space around the rear of the driver. You'll need to use a thick gasket since the stamped frame' sealing surface will barely ovelap the hole.

Comment

• philip_g
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BobEllis
          I'm guessing that you're using the DA175-8. A 1/2" rabbet fine since the screw holes are close enough the the outside edge that they have some grip. It might even be an advantage opening up some space around the rear of the driver. You'll need to use a thick gasket since the stamped frame' sealing surface will barely ovelap the hole.
          Close, dayton RS180.

That's what I'll do then, thanks!

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"