X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Marzen
    • Jul 2005

Mfg's box size/alignment vs. DIY?

I've noticed after doing two cabinet designs for Rockford Fosgate drivers (10 & 12") that the mfg's recommended cab size & alignment don't jive with BassBox Pro's recommendations. Both drivers I modeled recommended a large ported enclosure based on the EBS results; yet the mfg steadfastly recommends a small sealed one. Am I missing something here? Discounting cabin gain for the moment, models show that it will exceed it's max cone displacement at around 50hz @ 80% max power in a small, sealed box like you see at Best Buy.
    I have yet to tax my dual 10" subwoofer with a 250W plate amp in a 4cu^3 ft ported enclosure tuned to 28hz. SoundEasy models match up with the BassBox models as well. I would think 'car driver' mfg's would intentionally opt for a design that would perform well in a small sealed enclosure, hence my confusion.
    What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about?
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

It all depends on what you want to do, and how careful you are. A sealed box for a driver will be less likely to wind up with warranty returns for over excursion. A well designed EBS alignment will put out a heck of a lot more low bass, but requires some care in design and construction, and should be used with a suitable subsonic high pass filter to prevent over excusion below the tuning frequency, where the driver will tend to "unload" from the enclosure, and excursion will rapidly climb, while acoustical output is rapidly falling.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"