what's the best way to clean up the rough edges?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip_g
    • Dec 2005

what's the best way to clean up the rough edges?

I'm just full of ?'s this weekend.

Before I veneer I'll need to even up some edges, what's the best way? Can you plane MDF by hand? or is it better to sand it down? Maybe fill it with putty and smooth it?

What do you guys do? or are your cuts always exact :P
  • Lurkalot
    • Dec 2005

If you uneven joints with MDF, the best method is to use a bearing-guided flush trim bit in a router to smooth them , then careful sanding with a palm or small random orbit sander. MDF can certainly be sanded by hand (tiresome work), but it is not a material that is very conducive to hand planes; the adhesives in MDF make it fairly abrasive on edge tools anyway.

The ball-beraing guides are not the exact same diameter as the cutting circle, and typically leave a small proud surface on one plane that still needs some sanding.

Best of luck with your project,

Bruce

Comment

• philip_g
      • Dec 2005

thanks, hadn't thought to try that, have a bit floating around here somewhere.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"