• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • philip_g
    • Dec 2005

dremel circle guide?

anyone use one of these?
    Was looking for something at walmart and found this, they're 9.99

Didn't think it looked too bad, it can do .75 to 12" holes which should work for the majority of my tasks, I'm sure you'd have to make multiple passes to get through thick material, but for 10 bucks?
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I have one like that that came with my Rotozip and it works pretty well, heck for $10 if it doesnt work take it back.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• philip_g
      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
      I have one like that that came with my Rotozip and it works pretty well, heck for $10 if it doesnt work take it back.
      heck, the bits are 4-5 bucks anyway! Why not.

it works about like a router guide, pin in the middle, screw your dremel into it and spin it, like I said I'm sure it can only do 1/4" or so of depth at a time but... 10 bucks!

The other option is this, I thought this looked like a handy kit
      Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Be very careful because Dremel tools use a flexible coupling between the motor and the output shaft. When loaded down this coupling is pretty easy to burn up.

Dremels and Rotozips aren't designed for cutting holes in thicker, dense, materials like MDF.

How do I know? Well let's just say I've burned up my share. This is the kind of work routers were designed to do.......

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• philip_g
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
          Be very careful because Dremel tools use a flexible coupling between the motor and the output shaft. When loaded down this coupling is pretty easy to burn up.

Dremels and Rotozips aren't designed for cutting holes in thicker, dense, materials like MDF.

How do I know? Well let's just say I've burned up my share. This is the kind of work routers were designed to do.......
          Oh, mine is almost shot from automotive work anyway.

Ask me what happens when a carbide cutting bit binds up and flings the dremel around. They're only 20 or 30 bucks for the basic tool anyway.

I'll test it out on some scrap first.

Comment

• philip_g
            • Dec 2005

worked pretty OK, you just need to move slow and steady, it's not the smoothest cut but is probably better than I could do with a jigsaw.

Comment

• philip_g
              • Dec 2005

I did the port hole with the dremel, if you're careful and slow, the thing cuts a perfectly smooth hole. I think the first attempt I let it tip a little side to side. It even goes through 3/4" MDF with little complaint.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"