X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

How/Where to Sell DIY speakers

In case the title is a little misleading, I don't mean selling speakers on a continuous and large quantity basis - that would quickly become Work, a Business, not DIY

I'm curious about if/how others here have sold their older DIY speaker creations that have gotten replaced by newer, better DIY designs. How do you establish a worth for them and where do you advertise and sell them?

Thanks,

Paul
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

When that has occurred, it's usually just been an informal thing with a local friend.

I've seen people list DIY speakers on eBay, but selling DIY to J6P is probably an uphill battle- they want name recognition.

Used to be, when I had time for a social life, half or more of the speakers I built went to girlfriends, who, with my unimpressive social skills and excessive work habits and low SAF hobbies, became ex-girlfriends.

A couple of friends locally have wanted me to build complete HT sets of speakers like the Natalie P, but I just don't have the time anymore. Can't finish my own projects, it seems.

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

I usually sell them for the raw parts cost. At that price there's a line of people waiting .....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• KeithM
        • Oct 2005

IT's hard to sell them yourself if you don't have an EE degree in my town. Even if I did sell them, I don't think I'd charge much over the raw parts cost, maybe 50 cents dollars per hour of work.

Comment

• AJINFLA
          • Mar 2005

Hi Paul,

you could try smaller sites like Audigon, or if you have your own website, like Roman B does, just post some of your old projects up "For sale" alongside your current stuff. Seems to work for him.

Cheers,

AJ
          Manufacturer

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Paul, I may be interested in a pair depending on what they are, my wife wants a set of speakers for the living room area, whatcha have?? Pair of Wilson Audio clones????????????
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• philip_g
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
              I usually sell them for the raw parts cost. At that price there's a line of people waiting .....
              that would be fun actually. I tend to enjoy the project more than the results anyway.

Comment

• Hank
                Super Senior Member
                • Jul 2002

I've sold a few pairs, and a 7.1 system. I don't try to market or sell - not enough profit for the hours involved in building and finishing a good cabinet. Nowdays, I receive inquiries from people who have read about my building in a few forums. I've had 3 inquiries in the last 2 months to quote on finished cabinets for two guys who want to install the drivers/crossovers, buying them from designers on the forums. Another guy locally wants a quote on me building unfinished cabinet 'flats' because he doesn't have acces to a table saw and router/circle jig.
                How do I price them? That's tough. I do know that in order to make them saleable, if you don't have a name for yourself, you can't add your personal labor hours into the total cost, or you'll have a selling price that no one will go for.
                I will say that the SAF has been a very discouraging roadblock to making sales in the past few years.
                Sorry not to sound encouraging, but this is based on a few years' experience.

Comment

• Paul H
                  • Feb 2004

No interest in marketing or selling here either Hank - I've got no time to even consider making cabinets or speakers for others right at the moment.

I'm just considering selling last year's project (I've got a move coming up in a few months) and was idly wondering where to start. I think I'll check with friends & neighbours first of course.

Thanks for the comments all - any further suggestions welcome.

Paul

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Which ones are you selling, Paul? The curved MTMs or the big Dipoles?

Comment

• Paul H
                      • Feb 2004

Dennis,

While I had much help from this forum, the huge dipoles are essentially my own design and are the result of a year of testing, learning, tweaking, swearing, and finishing. While others with better ears and more exposure to high end systems may find these lacking (or not, I don't know), I'm still amazed every time I listen to them at how clear and 'real' these sound - they're not going anywhere.

Even if I was considering selling these dipoles, the market for 4-way fully active speakers, with an ~ 28" wide x 60" high baffle and 200 lb+ weight each is, I would think, somewhat limited ...

The curved "M8n mtm's" have a clean clear sound that I am very happy with - thanks to Thomas' & Jon's help & design work they're a very nice speaker - but I'd be willing to part with them.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"