X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul W
    • Oct 2004

Driver recess too small diameter ???

&_x*-!!! I can't read!

I misread a data sheet and now have two recesses for midrange drivers that are 2mm too small in diameter. The only thing I've been able to think of is to cut a temporary "plug" exactly the diameter of the driver through holes and then re-route the recesses...but this seems a little "iffy". (Baffles are 1.5" thick.)

What are my other options?
    Thanks!
    Paul
    Paul

• Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

are you able to locate the cemter of the circle?
    I posted a method about a year or so back (maybe a year and a half) suggesting to Bing Fung a method to enlarge a routed circle when he smashed his Infinity driver's former into the back plate and replaced it with a 12" BP-1203 - but you'll require a piece of material to span the hole (plus a bit more length...).
    if you can create a couple of "chords", (if the cutout is 12" in diameter, use something in the neighborhood of 6" chords) and attach a 90 degree right angle piece of "spare stock - whatever lies around) to either chord exactly in the center.
    Place these chords against the inner face of the existing circle.
    The point where the faces of these right angled pieces intersect will indicate the circle's exact center. use the piece you have spanning the whole circle, drill a guide hole for your router where the pieces intersect in the spanning piece and set a router's circle guide (jasper jig, or what-have-you) to enlarge the required amount and you'll be all set.

You can also use Bing's method of "squaring the circle" to find the center - it may turn out to be much easier

Comment

• Paul W
      • Oct 2004

Bent,
      Thanks for responding so quickly. My problem wasn't the driver hole through the baffle, it was an under-diameter recess for the mounting flange. I cut a plug with an OD equal to the ID of the driver through hole and rerouted the recess. A bit of a surprise, but it worked perfectly.
      Paul
      Paul

Comment

• Beau
        • Apr 2005

That flange wouldnt be 146mm for an m15ch001 would it Paul?...

Comment

• Paul W
          • Oct 2004

Well, they were 144mm....so yes, I am making a home for some M15s.

I haven't found any M15's yet (though a little birdie told me Seas will reintroduce it in both coated paper and poly in Q1). Gonna use the MCA15 for now...same holes.
          Paul

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

well a driver recess could be treated the same way - just don't set the router as deep.

Comment

• cjd
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Dec 2004

The other alternative (and what I use in general any more for driver recesses) is to simply cut a template and manually place that. 1mm you should be able to eyeball more than close enough.

Of course, this requires you have template guides for your router.

Once you get the hang of it, you can cut a perfect-fit template, lay it on the face, route, veneer, and then route again using the same template. You can also fix snafu's like this one.

C
              diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"