Views:	777
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	846209

Click image for larger version

Name:	impcorr.gif
Views:	785
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	846210
    Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 16:57 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Wow, with all those filters you've tried, isn't hard to say which filter sounds the best? I think there is one important rule, that not every change will bring improvement.
      I read at various discussionboards that for some people every change done to a x-over results in better sound.

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by TacoD
        I think there is one important rule, that not every change will bring improvement.
        Of course. The publication of all these filters on my website serves multiple purposes:

1. It is my logbook, reflecting the progress of a DIY speaker project.

2. I've learned a lot in the past 2 years of filter exploration, and maybe other people might find some hints in my notes and learn something as well.

3. It kind-of reflects the complexity to construct a good filter, the path from a "text-book filter", via a flat on-axis response, to a results containing many aspects (decent unit measurements, aligned phase, off-axis response etc.). Quite some experiments that have resulted in worse filters haven't made it to the web pages (website size, limited time), or have been included for educational purposes to the subpages.

I read at various discussionboards that for some people every change done to a x-over results in better sound.
        I could have posted only the last filter with a lot of confidence, but what would be the value of that?

I have no commercial aspirations, and I don't feel the need to "sell", justify or benchmark the speakers with emotional loaded language. I try to keep the language as "scientific" as possible, but I so here and there some ethousiasm of the results accomplished might have escaped my keyboard.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy reading about the project.

Marc

Comment

• Javachip
          • Sep 2006

Jed, thank you for the reply to my post. Jon did remark that the Accuton C90-T6 "should be quite usable to 3K" but he didn't specify a crossover slope. The FR graph for the C90-T6 shows flat response to 7K and then a steady drop-off with no peaks. There are no major distortion spikes either. So I don't understand why it couldn't be used right out to 5K with a 4th order slope.

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Javachip
            Jed, thank you for the reply to my post. Jon did remark that the Accuton C90-T6 "should be quite usable to 3K" but he didn't specify a crossover slope. The FR graph for the C90-T6 shows flat response to 7K and then a steady drop-off with no peaks. There are no major distortion spikes either. So I don't understand why it couldn't be used right out to 5K with a 4th order slope.
            This is probably related to the suspicion that the units start to bundle above 3kHz (just like the C^2 79, as shown in the 0/15/30 degrees measurement below). This means that the on-axis response starts to deviate from the power response, resulting in a mismatch between directly radiated sound, and reflected sound.

Marc

Name:	page40_9.gif
Views:	651
Size:	14.3 KB
ID:	846211
            Last edited by theSven; 14 August 2023, 16:57 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Javachip
              So I don't understand why it couldn't be used right out to 5K with a 4th order slope.
              An often overlooked variable is the baffle width and how it affects the response above 2K. Most of the response graphs you have seen are either IB or on a large baffle. Did you run a quick simulation to see BD effects in your proposed enclosure? I recommend you do this otherwise you can expect some large dips and peaks in the response above 3K, because the driver is operating outside it's pistonic range of operation etc.

Jed

Comment

• TacoD
                Super Senior Member
                • Feb 2004

The Avalon Isis crossed imho to high with the C^2 90, I could detect some compression/ bundling. But I do not know the x-over point of that loudspeaker .

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
                  • Jan 2006

I tried to describe as accurate as possible (which is difficult) the sound of the speakers, incorporating the feedback of other people as well.

Furthermore I've added some more explanations about the schematic and curves:

Marc

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

The Avalon Isis crossed imho to high with the C^2 90, I could detect some compression/ bundling. But I do not know the x-over point of that loudspeaker .
                    Interesting observation........

On two separate occasions I've auditioned the Isis in large acoustically treated listening rooms, driven at high SPL, with MEGA-buck electronics ($200,000). At no time did I hear anything that would come even remotely close to being called 'compression'.....I suspect something in the signal path prior to the Isis is to blame for what you heard.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Marc Heijligers
                      • Jan 2006

Hi,

I've performed some vibration/resonance measurements to the speakers. It seems the unit-grills are evil. They do resonate for hundreds of milliseconds!

Have a look at http://www.hifivoice.com/audio/miles...dampening.html if you're interested.

Marc

Name:	page80_16.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	846445

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                        • Feb 2008

How do you find the bass from the soup design?
                        SoundEngine355

-------------------
                        [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"