X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AudioMixer
    • Dec 2005

Speaker Cabinet Builder Wanted:

Hi Everyone...!
    I'm brand new to this cool forum and my name is Vince from Phx, Az - as a new comer I hope I'm not asking to much as a newbie here but I'm looking forword becoming a perment member of this forum and hoping I can get some responses. I hope this is the right forum to post this new thread of mine. Well...here goes, I'm looking for someone who has a woodshop and has good wood skills to build strip down basic speaker cabinets for me. I can't and don't have the room in my small apartment to do the job and my wife would kill me. I have called around locally here in Phoenix, Az to all the cabinet builders who build kitchen and other home cabinets and all have said either " we don't do custom work or we don't have the time." Not very incouraging. So now I'm left to the internet hoping someone will come to the rescue. My little project is not very complicated at all - it's a very simple box configuration with speaker grills. The main goal here is for someone to just build the boxes for me along with the speaker grills and that's it. No finishes done to the exterior or installing any kind of electronics or drivers. After the construction I would finish the final assembly here in my home...and that's it. I have all of the drawings made out and are simple to review. The cabinets I want done are tower floor cabinets. The dimensions are as follows;
    H=39-3/4" X W=9-1/8" X D=13-1/4" build using 3/4" MDF boards.
    Of course I would pay for work on the cabinets.
    I have had two other speaker projects done for me like this but the builder who built my cabinets ( a good friend of mine ) has pass away and was about to start on my last speaker project when he had a heart attack in his sleep.
    So I hope this explains why I'm now left to the internet hoping someone out there can help me out. Thank you for reading this and I hope I can someday help someone with audio or speaker projects problems.
    Vince
    Last edited by AudioMixer; 23 December 2005, 07:48 Friday.
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

They're prefinished in Maple or Cherry, but Madisound has some cabs that are quite close to what you spec'ed.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• AudioMixer
      • Dec 2005

Hi Thomas, yes I am aware of those cabs but the drivers I chosen won't fit, the internal dimension is too small up at the front baffle.
      Vince

Comment

• noah katz
        • Dec 2005

" we don't do custom work or we don't have the time."

It could just be the time of year; people like to have their places fixed up dfor the holidays.

I'd try again in a few weeks. I got surprisingly reasonable bids from cabinet shops for an entertainment center for my aunt.
        ------------------------------
        Noah

Comment

• AudioMixer
          • Dec 2005

Hello Noah, yeah it must be that time of the year. Maybe after the holidays I might get better luck. I think I might have posted this a little too early, oh well.
          Vince

Comment

• engr_dave
            • Dec 2005

Hello Vince.

Yes in Phoenix there should be a number of places to get cabinets built. You might try "Rings of Wood" here in Tucson. The owner Steve Mack is a great guy and his shop and team are first rate. Unfortunately (?) they've become pretty well known for custom high-end furniture, so they may be busy or not want to take on a job that small.

I'd normally be willing to throw some cabs together for you, but my "job queue" is pretty long right now. I'm in the middle of an extensive remodel of the family room theater/entertainment center, and I've been promising my dad a pair of speakers for months now. Then there are the new subs for the main theater... 8O

Dave

Comment

• AudioMixer
              • Dec 2005

Thanks Dave. Hey good luck on your project as well. Keep us inform about your cabs along with some pics whenever you get around to it. :T
              Vince

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"