X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cameron.garrett
    • Dec 2005

First DIY project Sub help.

Hey there,

I have browsed both DIYaudio and this forum trying to search for the perfect combination of subwoofer/amp/cabinet that fits my needs, but have pretty much come out of it confused and frustrated.. I guess this is harder than I thought it would be.

Here is the basic background on my application:

The sub would be used in both music and home theater. I want tight and controlled bass, but I also want great home theater effects (ie deep bass that will hit you)

This sub will possibly be in two separate locations. I currently go to college and for most of the time it will be in my apartment -- which happens to be a MUCH different room layout than my room at home.

At home I have a large closed off room with high ceilings. I would say the room is about 18x18x15.

My apartment has a large, open living room, with much smaller ceilings. Levels would obviously be much lower in this apartment so I don't piss people off that much.

I am on my winter break now, and I have absolutely nothing to do. My goal was to design a sub and build it over the break, so I can bring it back to my apartment in Orlando for my next semester.. Here lies the problem:

I need a sub that provides plenty of output.. But this sub must also be relatively small so it won't cost me a fortune to ship down to orlando.

A small box makes me think that it should be sealed. To me, it seems like a sealed box would also be much simpler to construct.

I have been looking at a few drivers. But first, I really need to know what driver size would be best. A 15" driver is tempting.. but then I would also need a huge enclosure.

A 12" driver in a small sealed enclosure is probably my best bet, I just dont want to miss out on the lower frequencies.

So with a 12" driver in mind, I have been looking at the TC2+ 12". I emailed Todd from Oaudio and he believed that I would be fine in an enclosure as small as a 30L.

I could also spend more money on the Soundsplinter RL-P12, but would it be worth it?

I realize I also have options such as the Adire tempest, peerless XLS, and the Dayton RS or Titanic subs. So really I have plenty of drivers to chose from....

With that in mind, which of those drivers would give me good output in a reasonably sized sealed box?

I have read about Linkwitz transforms and also know that it would help me out a lot in a sealed design. I am extremely curious about using one but have no idea where to even start, or how I would optimize the linkwitz transform based on my amp/driver/box. I have messed around with Win ISD pro and simulations lead me to believe that a linkwitz transform would be a good idea.. But again, I have no idea where to start or how to implement one.

I am willing to work with either a plate amp or a pro amp. I realize that pro amps will give me more watts for my $. I was thinking about the Behringer EP-1500.. I am crossing my current sub at 80hz with my Yamaha reciever.. Is it recommended I get an external crossover/eq with a pro amp?? I know there are two products from Behringer I could get that would act as the crossover/EQ/Linkwitz, but don't know how to use either one of them.

I realize that there are a lot of questions in here, but any help or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Cameron
  • wildfire99
    • Aug 2005

Build two boxes. An extra $30 worth of MDF is probably worth it. Then ship the driver and use an external amp. Problem solved.

You can also simply ship cut panels, it might be easier than shipping a box (and would be less likely to smash apart also). Then glue it up at the apt.
    - Patrick
    "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

wildfire's right there are no lightweight subs. The drivers are 25-35 lbs, the amps are 25+lbs, then there's the box.

IMO, building 2 boxes and shipping only the driver and amp is a great idea.... :T

Can you live with a 3 cu ft box and the RL-p15" or Todd's TC2+ 15"? That would be a good sub to grow with.

No sub is apartment friendly....You're better off using platform or furniture mounted tactile transducers for apartment life.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• cameron.garrett
        • Dec 2005

thanks for the good idea wildfire..

I am pretty sure I could deal with a 3 cu ft. box.

Now, with the RL-P15 or the TC2+15.. Can anyone say whether the extra ~$60 for the RLP is worth it? I have been trying to figure that out for some time now -- I know that the RLP will take a lot of abuse and is the upgraded TC2, but would it really give me THAT much more bass in a 3 cu. ft. sealed enclosure?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Both are well build and will do the job. One's just more rugged and has the ability for more output.

They aren't the same driver, the RL-p and a different motor a double spider, higher Xmax and higher Fs meaning it will need additional EQ to play lower...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"