X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pistolpete
    • Oct 2005

Proper enclosure size?

If I am building a sub or any speaker for that matter, how do I determine the proper size enclosure? Do I rely strictly on Vas? Why or why not. Also, without the enclosure type known(sealed or ported), is Vas the same? What happens to the sound when the enclosure is larger or smaller than Vas? Too small equals less bass and too large equals sloppy bass, yes?
    I am just trying to pick the minds of experienced speaker builders because I plan to build so more speakers in the future and enclosure size seems to be a little art and science.
    Thanks, Pete
  • Rudy Jakubin
    • May 2005

Qts, Vas, Fs all factor in.
    Here's a good read for beginners;
    Home Theater Systems and Audio Components | Audio Visual Equipment Product Reviews, Technical AV Guides, Home Theater Equipment and Product Reviews

Here's a small computer program that once you get a handle on how to use let's you play to your hearts content on how enclosure size and type of box and drivers parameters affects frequency response;

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

Enclosure is built based on a collection of T/S parameters (of which VAS is but one)

Programs like Unibox or M.J.King's Mathcad worksheets allow you to enter this data and evaluate likely low end response of just about any enclosure you can imagine (M.J.King has almost everything available now though they're perhaps a bit trickier to use).

Beyond that, bigger does not mean sloppy bass at all - the ultimate in subwoofers requires effectively infinite volume (this is technically true of both dipole and IB subs though, of course, there is no box for a dipole setup). Volume changes alter the transfer function of the box - smaller = higher order which *can* equate to less bass extension. If you're talking ported, it can also mean worse response - heavy peaking or other less than desireable behavior.

If you have MS Excel available, I would suggest checking out Unibox (available free at the FRD Consortium). Pick a driver (any driver) and start to experiment with some of the settings. There are a lot of information charts available that can be quite valuable in evaluating a particular alignment. Good stuff.

You could also look into WinISD though I don't like it nearly as much - it does most of the same stuff though (may be a bit more confusing to use).

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• pistolpete
        • Oct 2005

Thanks guys. While I have been in the audio hobby for many years, I am new to the DIY and seem to have a lot to learn.
        Pete

Comment

• cjd
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Dec 2004

Originally posted by pistolpete
          I am new to the DIY and seem to have a lot to learn.
          Pete
          That's the ticket!

I've been in DIY for a little while now, and still have a lot to learn! Sit back and enjoy the ride.

C
          diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"