Noob is as noob does...First proj. choices.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sYkone
    • Dec 2005

Noob is as noob does...First proj. choices.

Here is the deal. I am going to build a 7.1 system for "The man's room". Money IS an issue. I don't currently have the receiver yet. I have an Aiwa bookshelf system in said room and it is why I am wanting to upgrade. Impressive I know. Anyway, it is all I have. I do have an Onkyo that will do 6 Ohms in the family room but that does me little good.

Okay, this being the case I am having trouble deciding what to do. I had planned on doing Triunes across the front with matching MTs around. But the RS180 MTMs with Modula MT's might be a lot better and cost a lot more. Either way it will be a L/R, Sub, surround, CC, or something progression.

I obviously can't run Nat. P's($$$) with the Aiwa, nor the Onkyo, though these are the most appealing.

The Triunes may run on the Onkyo but leave my room assed out until I get the AVR.

I don't think I would be happy with the 5.25" and silkie MT by themselves.

The Modula MT's might be good and seem to be very friendly as far as power is concerned. Haven't priced them out yet but may still be too $$$.

Maybe BR-1's now but my own enclosures and the tweak on the crossover? Shielded D-III's later? UniCC?

Whatever I do I want them all to match so if I go RS or classic now I will want to do it all around.

I just found out money is even more of an issue while writing this and might have to put it off again. D$&*. maybe I can work some more OT and get something started. I thought about starting the enclosures but am afraid something could change and they would be useless.

Really guys, I want to do something while I have a couple of down weeks for christmas. I just want a good system and have to be careful with the money.

Thank you.
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

I have a simple suggestion that will only cost you 5/7 the cost of a 7 speaker system ....

If cash is a major concern, go with 5 speakers. There are threads here discussing the 5 vs 7 systems, and the trend of opinion seems to be that 7 channels are marginally nicer in large rooms and otherwise there's not much difference.

One of these days, build some new mains to go with your 5 speakers and you'll have 7 ..

Paul

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

If I were in your shoes, I would build a pair of nice mains like the Modula MTMs or NatPs and then build more as you get more money and equipment. A good pair of jaw dropping mains is way better than five or seven budget speakers. A good 2.1 system beats a 7.1 bandaid system for movies anyday.

I think you'll save your self time and money this way in the long run because you are less likely to suffer from upgraditis.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

• cinema bob
        • Apr 2005

go with a 5.1 system
        build a really nice set of mains and add the rest as money allows
        you will end up with a nice system in the end and if you really want 7.1 you can add those as well.

Comment

• wildfire99
          • Aug 2005

Two good speakers and a good sub... I've been watching movies like this for a few months now and it's perfectly adequate. I'd rather do it this way for a while than have 5 lame speakers and no sub. In fact, the reason I have stereo right now is because I returned the last 5 channel lame HTIB I had. (And I'm really too lazy to get out and cut MDF.)

Adding a center channel as a 'next step' is nice for movies too, I think, as it helps intelligibility during complex scenes, especially if your mains aren't top shelf.

I can't count the number of films that I've watched where I had to wonder at least once if my rears were on, because the mixing crew just didn't comprehend the difference between 2.1 and 5.1 (that means the mains are louder, right?).
          - Patrick
          "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• sYkone
            • Dec 2005

I think I agree with most, if not all of what you guys said. I realize there are some different theories but when I look at them together they kind of solidify my thought process.

The room is 13x13, so it won't take a lot, anyway.

2.0, 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, if needed 6 or 7.1. I agree with Paul that 5.1 will probably be enough but the AVR I am buying will most likely be 7.1 and why not use them when money allows.

That seems realistic and logically progressive. Obviously the AVR will have to fall in between the 2.0 + 2.1.

Okay, I have a feeling that the Modula MT should be as "full" as the Triune transmission line Curt has or at least the 7" has almost the surface area as 2-5.25" woofers, right? They are an easy load to drive, so my junk now will run them, if not optimally, and the Onkyo may be a good match if I want a better clue as to how they sound.

Then the sub. I am thinking Quatro 15", which is overkill for my room. I may back this off. I have a Dayton 150W 12" in the living room, which is much larger, and like it. But I think I want a larger sealed sub.

Okay, going to look at some parts lists and see if I can figure them out and what to get. :T

Comment

• Dotay
              • Oct 2004

My suggestion which it sounds like you're leaning towards as well is that if money is really really tight is to build the Modula MT's and then when you get more money you can build the mains either Natalie P or Modula MTM's and move the Modula MT's to rear duty.

So if it were me I'd build in stages:

1. MT's
              2. Sub
              3. Natalie P or Modula MTM
              4. Center
              5. MT's for the last two rears if you feel they are necessary

Obviously a new reciever that can handle this load is in there somewhere but since you have the Onkyo you might find that it will handle them adequately.

Comment

• sYkone
                • Dec 2005

Good. If others are coming to the same conclusion then perhaps it is logical.

Yeah the Onkyo might handle the MT's but it isn't in my room. It is just the little DR-S2.0 anyway. Bought it before I really knew anything a few years ago.

Comment

• cjd
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Dec 2004

By the way, don't forget to count the difference in quality between the Dayton Classic drivers (Triune) and the Dayton RS stuff.

The RS drivers simply leave the classics in the dust. My RS150 based MTM was designed around the same concept that drove Curt to make the Triune - it even shares the same box size/tuning (though driver size differences mandate a different baffle).

It may be worth considering a non-budget sub driver. I would. The Quattro is good for its cost, but... It would be a good match for the Triune (or other Dayton Budget HT options).

And, remember also that by the time you get around to building more, something else may have caught your eye. I have learned that buying "with upgrade potential" is a great way to shell out more money now, and never use what it bought. So, unless you lay out specific plans to build these speakers over a few months, half year, something like that - ...

C
                  diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• sYkone
                    • Dec 2005

Yeah, I see your point. And actually I read about the variation you did with the Triune when I was doing research on it. That is one of the things that got me thinking about the RS's more seriously. As well as many of the other RS projects I have seen.

As far as subs, well, yeah, I don't know yet. Whatever I get will obviously fill my output level easily. I will cross that bridge next. Originally I wanted to do powered lowers on the mains I was going to build first. Sort of a MTM powered WW tower. RS 3-way looking, two way mounted on a sub. Way too much money now, but may be possible in the spring. Thanks CJD I have read a lot that you have posted and about your designs.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"