X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Drewbert
    • Aug 2005

Ok.... so yall told me so, what now?

I built my sub that I wanted.... older car driver, pushed with by a crown XLS 402... Its fine, but thats the problem... its just fine.

I have heard this sub be A LOT louder though it was in my car... So I have some problms...
    First, I hate sealed boxes, but due to space I made one. Its 2.45 cubic feet.... so maybe its too small? :M
    Second I dont have a BFD.... so I do want to get that soon before I dump this project....
    Third, if not this driver then what? Tamults looking good, but the price is NOT
    ideas?

Thanks guys
    Drew
    -Drew
  • ajpoe
    • Jul 2004

My boxes are only about 2.5 cubic feet of internal volume and sealed too. I did not have to boost the bottom end any with the BFD, but simply removed some of the peaks. I think I remember reading that the car drivers are designed differently to work best in a confined car environment so that's probably the main issue here. There are other drivers that aren't as expensive as the Tamults like the Titanic MKIII at PE. I'm sure the 'pros' around this forum can point you in the right direction.
    AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• kgveteran
      • Oct 2005

What driver did you use ? There is no need to hate sealed enclosures.Like all enclosures they all have there weak points.One is for sure, your F3 has got to be at least 35-40hz in a 2.5cu. ft. enclosure.That is a guess because a Tumult has an F3 of about 35hz in a 3.0 cu. ft. enclosure.Sealed systems 99% of the time use some type of EQ.Room gain will help a bit, but if you want to go deep you will need an LT circuit.You have to somehow invert the natural rolloff of that sealen enclosure.........the cost of that is tons of power and lotz of Xmax. If done right a sealed system will keep up with the rest of the subs out there (exept the IB guys with {16} drivers ).There are true benefits to a sealed system, it just needs to be in order to accomplish its goal.

Goodluck KG
      Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• Drewbert
        • Aug 2005

That titanic magnet is tiny.... is it any good?
        -Drew

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Is this magnet big enough?

:rofl:

Check out oaudio.com and soundsplinter.com (Premium series) for other subs that are highly recomended. Or wait until Ascendent Audio's new line becomes available.
          Attached Files

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

In 2.5cu/ft it's around .74Qtc with an F3 of 43Hz and F10 of 25Hz
            This was the model from your last thread. So this is the performance you get. Since it's not in a car, you don't get the same amount of 'cabin' gain.

Now if the posted T/S parameters aren't accurate then your driver will work differently. But other than that it's similar to many of the more modest home 15" woofers

If you put the sub in a corner and use a BFD, you can boost the bottom end and things should sound better.

If you put it in a bigger ported box it will have more output.

Also you really should get one of the RS SPL meters and take some in-room measurements. I'd be willing to bet that the placement is a problem as well.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Drewbert
              • Aug 2005

Mike I really like that sub, do you have it? If so, any details?
              Thomas, sorry for the igorance, but what do those figrues mean?
              And what sub do you think I need to look into?
              -Drew

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Those figures mean you won't have much low fequency output since the box is so small.

At this point I don't think you need to look at another sub. You need to buy a RS meter and take some measurements of the sub. Because I bet you have a room induced problem if you're using the full output from the amp and aren't getting enough loudness

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Drewbert
                  • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                  Those figures mean you won't have much low fequency output since the box is so small.

I don't think you need to look at another sub at this point. You need to buy a RS meter and take some measurements of the sub. Because I bet you have a room induced problem if you're using the full output from the amp and aren't getting enough loudness
                  I have the gain a little bit over half, and it starts to clip....
                  FWIW all of my friends love it, I just want more :B
                  -Drew

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Then you need more displacement = more drivers or a new driver with more suspension travel. (and a bigger box wouldn't hurt either)

What's your budget?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Drewbert
                      • Aug 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                      Then you need more displacement = more drivers or a new driver with more suspension travel. (and a bigger box wouldn't hurt either)

What's your budget?
                      Depends, im saving for a 1075... what do you have in mind?
                      Also I was thinking it might be room issues... not sure. I know I need a BFD.
                      -Drew

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Drewbert
                        Mike I really like that sub, do you have it? If so, any details?
                        Thomas, sorry for the igorance, but what do those figrues mean?
                        And what sub do you think I need to look into?
                        It's a BluePrint 1503. I haven't even got the thing yet. The guy that I bought it from has been very sick and his wife was supposed to ship it out last week. He just emailed me today and apparently she forgot, but at least I have a tracking# now. I've had my amp, eq, and lumber for a while now and am about going out of my mind waiting to hear this thing. Hopefully it sounds better than the 10" Athena I'm using now.

It's going into a 3 cuft sealed box driven by a 1100w Nady amp and a Rane PE17 to eq the thing. It's looking like it will be a Christmas project now, as I have to work quite a bit for the next 3 weeks. If I don't like the sealed design, I'll be building an AS15 clone, which is one of ThomasW's many famous designs.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Depends, im saving for a 1075... what do you have in mind?
                          With both Adire and Ascendant currently out of the loop, the recommended high output 15" driver is the SoundSplinter RL-p 15"

But I suggest you buy the BFD and the RS meter first..

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• ---k---
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2005

Maybe this is what you need:

TWINS! :B

That is the Sound Splinter RL-p15 that Thomas is recommending. I just got them today. I won't be able to tell you how they sound for till christmas, but I'm sure if Thomas is recommending them, they are going to be great.
                            - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                            CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                            CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Drewbert
                              • Aug 2005

Those do look nice, how much power you running to each again?
                              -Drew

Comment

• ---k---
                                Ultra Senior Member
                                • Nov 2005

I'm not running anything yet. But will run a Nady XA-1100 w/ 450W/ch @4ohm.
                                - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"