X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Tweeter for line array

I would like to build a simple (cheap) line array using the same HiVi B3N (8 for each side with a tweeter in the middle) dirvers that I used for my office speakers. Maybe even the B4S since it's only a few bucks more. Could somebody recomend an inexpensive tweeter that would match up with either the B3 or the B4? Also, since this will be my 1st experience with a crossover, any pointers here would be extremelyl helpfull. 3rd order, 4th order, crossover point ect.

I know these are pretty vaugue questions, I'm just looking to order the parts for now and do some experimenting with these. I'm curious about line arrays and feel this is one way to learn some basic stuff and figure out if I like the sound of an array at the same time.

Thanks
  • GrahamT
    • Oct 2004

I haven't seen a B4s, maybe you mean a B4n. If so, check out the M4n. It has a lower efficiency, but a smoother FR.

If you dont have any measuring equipment, and just want to mess around, why not start first order. It will be much cheaper, and there will be FR problems anyway.

A good cheap tweeter seems to be the HiVi K1. Just make sure that the sensitivity of the tweeter will be higher than the sensitivity of midranges when combined.

Comment

• cjd
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Dec 2004

The best line array tweeter that's also cheap that I'm aware of is the lovely Dayton ND20FB - quite a slick little piece, and it should work quite well with the drivers listed since they do have an extended frequency response.

Crossovers, well - yeah. PE publishes data for the b4n but not the m4n which gives that an advantage for quick and dirty concepting using all the lovely tools over at the FRD Consortium. Which is where I would start.

I've worked with the tweeter I mentioned and can share some of that work if it's helpful at all.

C
      diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

The PE site must be down because I can't get to the speaker page. :M

And Graham, I wasn't really sure what to do with the crossover, I've just noticed that people recomend a 3rd or 4th order for these types of speakers on the DIY forum. I'm open to any and all suggestions.

cjd, I'd be happy to see some of the work you did with the dayton tweeter. And also, since I only need 2 tweeters, it doesn't have to be super cheap. If there are better options that cost around $20-30 that would sound better and be better match ups for the aluminum HiVis, I'm open to suggestions.

Once I can get back on the PE site I'm sure I'll have some more questions. :lol:

Comment

• PoorboyMike
          • Oct 2005

Here is something I don't understand. The B4N is an extended range driver and has a fr of 50-3000 hz. The B4S is considered a woofer and has a fr of 70-8000 hz.

Could this be a error?

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

looks like a typo or misread to me (3 and 8 do look vaguely similar on bad type)

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• PoorboyMike
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by cjd
              looks like a typo or misread to me (3 and 8 do look vaguely similar on bad type)

C
              Yeah, when I checked out the manufactures specs it seems to go much higher than 3000 hz. What would you recomend for a crossover point for the B4Ns with the Dayton tweeter? Or how about the
              HI-VI RT1C-A PLANAR TWEETER . I know it's a little more money, but my budget plans never seem to be reasonable. :lol: I would like to avoid comb filtering as much as posible if I can.

Comment

• Aaron M.
                • Aug 2005

Hmm, sounds to me like you need a Vifa D26NC55.
                It allows close driver spacing and fairly low XO for being so teeny.
                Low distortion as well.

Comment

• Jim Holtz
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Line arrays work best with longer ribbons or planars. Dome tweeters simply aren't a good solution. Read ;x( Dr. Jim Griffins line array white paper for an explanation. If you're on a tight budget, I'd go for the Dayton Pt2 planars. I don't think the HI-VI will provide any benefit to speak of. Jim or Rick Craig can offer lots of advice on what will work best.

HTH

Jim

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                  Yeah, when I checked out the manufactures specs it seems to go much higher than 3000 hz. What would you recomend for a crossover point for the B4Ns with the Dayton tweeter? Or how about the
                  HI-VI RT1C-A PLANAR TWEETER . I know it's a little more money, but my budget plans never seem to be reasonable. :lol: I would like to avoid comb filtering as much as posible if I can.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"