X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Office speaker pics

I just slammed these cabinets together yesterday. Surprisingly, these little things sound pretty good for what they are. I'm still not sure if I'm going to paint them or veneer them. Either way, I need a bigger roundover bit than what I have.

I also have a TB W6-1139 (6.5") and a 25w PE plate amp. I got some plans from the PE forum for an 11L (11" square external) ported box tuned to 35hz. The plans call for a 70w amp though so I might return the one I have and upgrade. The port is a 1.5" flared 7.5" long. The reason I got the 25w amp is that I was doing something wrong in Unibox. I still don't know what I'm doing wrong, but my graph shows the driver exceeding Xmax with only 25w but the guys graph on the PE forum the woofer doesn't exceed Xmax until 25hz. Any ideas where I'm going wrong here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BN31_resized.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	867876

Name:	BN32_resized.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	867877
    Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 21:19 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

What, there isn't anyone interested in these beauties? lol :W

Comment

• GrahamT
      • Oct 2004

:lol: Yeah, they're...uhh...stunning. :P

Are those the B3s drivers?

As for the amp, 25W may be plenty since the sub only has to keep up with the little HiVis.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GrahamT
        :lol: Yeah, they're...uhh...stunning. :P

Are those the B3s drivers?

As for the amp, 25W may be plenty since the sub only has to keep up with the little HiVis.
        Yeah, they're B3s. And I know they look pretty good but I wouldn't go as far as stunning. :lol:

I really want to get into building nicer (and more complex) speakers, but I figured the little Hi-Vis would be a cool 1st project. And you're probably right about the amp. I'm just going to be using these at work anyway.

I'd also like to be able to take a decent picture some day too. :M

Comment

• GrahamT
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
          I'd also like to be able to take a decent picture some day too. :M
          Yeah I was gonna say that, I went cross eyed looking at that second pic. :P

Starting with that project is a good place to get your feet wet. Are you planning to build new speakers for your HT?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by GrahamT
            Yeah I was gonna say that, I went cross eyed looking at that second pic. :P

Starting with that project is a good place to get your feet wet. Are you planning to build new speakers for your HT?
            Eventually. I'm still waiting on a BP1503 and that will be my 1st project for my HT.

I was just going to re-build the Infinities, but I don't think it would really be worth it anymore. I really like the RA8 from RAW with a matching center. The projects I see here are reallly nice too, but the crossovers would be way over my head at this point. Maybe I should try a nice little 2-way bookshelf next to see how I do at assembling a somewhat simple crossover. I don't know how to solder yet so I think a little bit of practice is a good thing.

When I went away to college back in the late 80's, speaker building was what I wanted to do. Drinking and socializing got the best of me though and I never went back. Now I'm older and slightly wiser and trying to learn all I can and just have fun.

Comment

• GrahamT
              • Oct 2004

The BP1503 will be a fun sub project. Are you planning on sealed or ported?

The RA8 looks cool too, but make sure you like line arrays before you buy it.

A two way to use as surrounds later would be another good project to practice your skills. I dont think rebuilding the Infinties is worth it, IMHO.

If you have the funds, the Modula speakers all the way around would be really nice. Crossovers aren't that hard to build. Designing is another story though. Soldering takes a little practice. Soldering caps and coils is about as easy as it gets for soldering.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                • Oct 2005

My entire house is only about 1000sq ft so I'm thinking sealed will be plenty. It doesn't cost much to put a box together and try it though, so if I don't like it, I will probably build a AS15 clone. I have a Nady XA-1100 and a Rane PE17 just waiting to be put to use. I'm pretty anxious to hear what this thing can do, but I haven't recieved the driver yet. :evil: He sent it out last Friday so hopefully it will show up by tomorrow.

I can't say I've ever heard a line array before. Is there a big difference in the sound over a conventional 2 way?

I'll check out the modula project. I scanned through it a while back and have been meaning to go back through it again. I remember it being way over my head though.

Comment

• Bent
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2003

My AS-15 (from the inside)

Name:	boxside.webp
Views:	20
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	943358

I posted the picture directly, but it threw us into "widescreen" mode...
                  Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 21:20 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Ben,

Top, bottom and sides are supposed to be doubled 3/4' layers

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bent
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2003

HEhehe, in that drawing, I didn't include the spacers that sit between the ribs and are sanwiched aganst the top, bottom and sides spanning the entire inside - do they count as doubled up? or did I miss the mark?

Comment

• PoorboyMike
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Bent
                        HEhehe, in that drawing, I didn't include the spacers that sit between the ribs and are sanwiched aganst the top, bottom and sides spanning the entire inside - do they count as doubled up? or did I miss the mark?
                        I don't know if it's the same or not, but I've seen other people do the same thing. I would think it would work OK since your braces are basically sitting in 3/4" rabit joints. I think it would be easier to just build the outside shell and line it with an inside shell though, rather than using all those pieces.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Yes the pieces between the braces make the 1.5" layers, but those aren't shown in the drawing. I didn't want people to get confused.

Name:	GluingBraces.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	943359
                          Last edited by theSven; 28 June 2023, 21:20 Wednesday. Reason: Update image location

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bent
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2003

You're absolutly correct - I've updated my drawing already.
                            my cut list doesn't indicate the spacers to go between the braces (ribs?) though - but they are pretty straightforward.

Comment

• Bent
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2003

I think it would be easier to just build the outside shell and line it with an inside shell though, rather than using all those pieces.
                              using individual pieces allowed me to basically "stack" my box during it's construction.
                              I affixed the front doubled baffle, glued in the first 4.5" set of spacers, glued in the first brace, glued in the next set of 6" spacers, then the next brace, etc untill I finished. This assured me my spacers were all set square to the box without having to do any measuring...

Comment

• GrahamT
                                • Oct 2004

Originally posted by PoorboyMike
                                I can't say I've ever heard a line array before. Is there a big difference in the sound over a conventional 2 way?

I'll check out the modula project. I scanned through it a while back and have been meaning to go back through it again. I remember it being way over my head though.
                                Line arrays suffer from lots of comb filtering problems, something that is avoided around these parts. Another difference is that monopoles decrease in sound intensity by 6dB per doubling of distance, and for line arrays it is around 3dB. Line arrays are also very efficient if that is important. They definitely sound different, and some people love them, others dont care for them.

The Modulas are very complicated. But building them wont be too bad IMO. FWIW, if I were going to build new speakers, they would be the Modulas.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"