X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beau
    • Apr 2005

Uber Arvo?

John I see you are leaving a little teaser for us on the Mad Board, Uber Arvo??
    Waveguides?, Alternative mids?,RS Woofers? Flexible Flyer? C'mon, give over all the details...
    Beau
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

There are no details. Everything is a work-in-progress.

Jon tends to post "stream-of-consciousness" stuff at times....

Wave guides have been discussed in a couple different threads. Jon bought some of the ones from MCM for experimentation.

Different midwoofers have been the topic of discussion for months.

Don't hold your breath, don't speculate, don't plan-on or expect anything until you see a thread with specifics. And IF that occurs it will be a long, long, long, time coming.......

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Oh yee of little faith and much experience...

At least I have all the drivers here ready to test...

I'm looking at every possible way to "max out" the performance on the last version before tackling the Saint-Saens. Improving the tweeter LF loading and radiation resistance (which should reduce the operating distortion for a given SPL level) if possible is quite desirable- how to do so within the restrictions of my desired "system" is more the issue.

Day job work has been the real problem this year; now I find out today that we don't technically have a Xmax shutdown this year- instead of two days for Xmas and Xmas Eve, and two for New Years, since they fall on the weekend, no holiday unless you want to take vacation days while the facilities are open and working. It's OK to do so, in line with policy, AS LONG AS IT DOESN'T IMPACT ONGOING WORK AND ASSIGNMENTS. There's the rub, as we're doing January CES for the first time this year, moving the lab just before that (by Jan 4), and there's an APEC Seminar presentation I have to prepare before leaving on that travel, as I'll be out on business the last week before it's due.

Does this sound like a setup? Kind of does to me, too. I'll take the day before Xmas eve off so I can so some stuff additional stuff with my daughter, as we'll do on Xmas eve also. At least there's not much shopping to do this year, as we've kind of figured out what she wants for Xmas, and she already has her more significant "small" gift, now just the big one is left to pick up.

Sorry, totally OT. Just background on progress impediments.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by JonMarsh
        we don't technically have a Xmax shutdown this year
        Calling Dr. Freud...

Ahh, see, and that line probably got you thinking of router bits and saw blades. :P

:lol:

I had my entire relaxing Thanksgiving break (which included an hour and a half massage) wiped out yesterday. On a project I got brought into Monday around 3pm.

They must have no interest in having any employees left that have any brain power in a year or two.

As for pushing the Arvo further, wouldn't that require, you know, putting more of that critical upper midrange on dipole drivers? :P

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Yes, Dr. Freud, he's that guy from Austria that invented the first router and router bits, the better to peer inside your head using an early version of trepanning? Fortunately, the wider applications for woodworking have become more popular...

Glad you had a great Thanksgiving, Chris.

Some of the chaos I'm working with is having the unexpected (like your 3 PM project) dumped on top of an already packed work load- my new boss was supposed to be out here this week for a series of one on ones, and he came down with the flue last weekend, and didn't make his Sunday flight. Stress reaction, maybe?

Yesterday was like running a marathon at a sprint pace all day long- have to admit the day really burned by, but I hardly had time to squeeze in a bite of lunch, some of it covering for my boss in addition to things I'd had to schedule and which were scheduled on my at the last minute.

It's an intersting question as to how high the Arvo's should operate in dipole mode. The first dipole speaker we engineered/built was a Klone of the Legacy Whisper system for Thomas- that had some very clear cut advantages over box systems, and it was only dipole up to 300 Hz. Taking it up to ~1 kHz or so seems further worthwhile, but at higher frequencies, they seem to work more like a bipole with the rear wave out of phase, if that makes any sense to you- not much gain in the off axis room rejection, and there's not all that much off axis radiation anyway.

Anyway, gotta get the new CAD software to finish the design, and won't be able to do that until around the 23rd or after (delayed incentive payments at work by a month +). What I could do with some quality time off.....

~Jon
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Beau
            • Apr 2005

Ive read so many different threads about various mids that Ive lost track.
            What was the final outcome with the mids? From what I recall the Peerless Exclusive were on the cards, how did these go in the distortion stakes comared to the W22, M8a etc..
            These are one of the few drivers we can get in Australia direct at prices that are comparable with Madisound!!
            The Peerless version looks mighty attractive under these conditions, would it be a basic drop in for the M8a version?
            The other problem I have is SAF related, There is no way I am going to get Cabs that wide into my living room, is it possible to mod the cabs so they are only 340mm wide?
            Beau.

Comment

• JoshK
              • Mar 2005

I'd hazard a guess that given your down under economics that the Peerless will be the winner on a cost matters basis. If you change the width of the baffles though, you need to consider that everything changes with respect to the xo since you are getting less lower freq support at every driver (said simply) and diffraction affects happen at a higher freq.

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

What was the final outcome with the mids? From what I recall the Peerless Exclusive were on the cards, how did these go in the distortion stakes comared to the W22, M8a etc..
                Yesterday Jon stated
                At least I have all the drivers here ready to test...
                This of course means the testing hasn't occurred. And as was stated earlier, when the testing has been completed the data will be posted.

People need to understand that this kind of testing is complicated and time consuming. And currently there is no time available to do the testing. This has something to do with Jon being employed, and currently working 60hr+ work weeks.

The baffle width can be widened but not narrowed for the reasons Josh mentioned.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Beau
                  • Apr 2005

Thanks Guys, I realised after posting that I had incorrectly written down the width of the baffles, the present width is fine, as for the testing, time is no problem I have to come up with the funds first...
                  You guys do this hobby a huge service with all of your work, If only my wallet and wife would see it this way...
                  Beau

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Yeah, those mundane day to day considerations like spouses and finances can be a real drag for DIY... I only have one to deal with, as there's no spouse, and my daughter thinks my speakers are cool. But she's still at an impressionable age (21), I'm sure that will probably change when it's her SO.
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Obi-Wan
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Jon, I see you're still on the rock pile :conveyer: We just returned from a week in Taipei and Tokyo. I was negotiating a contract with our partner designer/manufacturer in Taipei and then we met and negotiated with a large consumer electronics company to license our I.P. via buying the product from our Taiwan partner. W'ere getting close to a deal and if it works out, they want to show the product at C.E.S. Will you have a booth? If so, I'd like to stop by and say hi. If you're there for meetings, maybe we can have a beverage or two during free time (that is, if YOU have any of that rare commodity). :^x

Comment

• JonMarsh
                        Mad Max Moderator
                        • Aug 2000

Hi Hank!

I'm slipping into that same pit I think you're in, I think. That one of "all job, no life".

We're going to be at CES at the Sands Hotel EETimes exhibition area- Infineon Technologies (4th largest semiconductor company in the world, now, until we spin off our memory division).

I'd certainly enjoy getting together with you and lifting a couple. I should have some fairly copious free time- in exchange for preparing a presentation for this exhibitrion ·and probably giving it), my boss says I can wander about and hook up as I desire- the marketing pukes will take care of most of the booth duty.

I've already been in touch with my old friend Charles Hansen at Ayre and expect to hook up with him at some point. Plan to spend some time at the Alexis Part one or two days, and bring a good camera. I'll PM you with my mobile number.

~Jon
                        the AudioWorx
                        Natalie P
                        M8ta
                        Modula Neo DCC
                        Modula MT XE
                        Modula Xtreme
                        Isiris
                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                        Minerva Monitor
                        Calliope
                        Ardent D

In Development...
                        Obi-Wan
                        Modula PWB
                        Calliope CC Supreme
                        Natalie P Ultra
                        Natalie P Supreme
                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• jdybnis
                          • Dec 2004

Jon,

Tangentially to this tangent, I'm backpacking around eastern Europe now. I met some engineers staying in a Hostel in Wroclaw, Poland that worked for Infineon at a manufacuring plant in Germany. Nice guys.

-Josh
                          -Josh

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

That's the fundamental problem the German engineers are ALWAYS on vacation......

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• JonMarsh
                              Mad Max Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Like the one that was supposed to have some bench testing data ready this week for me for the paper I'm working on this weekend, only he never sent it and he's been on vacation all this last week....

~Jon
                              the AudioWorx
                              Natalie P
                              M8ta
                              Modula Neo DCC
                              Modula MT XE
                              Modula Xtreme
                              Isiris
                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                              Minerva Monitor
                              Calliope
                              Ardent D

In Development...
                              Obi-Wan
                              Modula PWB
                              Calliope CC Supreme
                              Natalie P Ultra
                              Natalie P Supreme
                              Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• TacoD
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2004

Americans are always at work ... . I am glad I am living in Europe, so I have more time for my hobbies.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                  Mad Max Moderator
                                  • Aug 2000

You picked the right area- even my former boss (prior to Septebmer) who went back to Germany/Austria after three years here, says he's ready to enjoy some German style vacation time. Of course, he took three weeks off before going back.

~Jon
                                  the AudioWorx
                                  Natalie P
                                  M8ta
                                  Modula Neo DCC
                                  Modula MT XE
                                  Modula Xtreme
                                  Isiris
                                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                  Minerva Monitor
                                  Calliope
                                  Ardent D

In Development...
                                  Obi-Wan
                                  Modula PWB
                                  Calliope CC Supreme
                                  Natalie P Ultra
                                  Natalie P Supreme
                                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jul 2002

"Marketing pukes" There's a double funny meaning to that. I (Sourcing) and Manufacturing refer to "them" as Marketing, Root of All Evil! Okay, that's the Dilbert interpretation. On another level, my degree (1969) was a BBA, concentration in...dare I say it?...Marketing ops:
                                    I can explain, I swear! I grew up in Retailing. The Supermarket biz, to be exact. My Dad was a supermarket genius. He built displays, ran promotions, won all the contests, was King at the regional supermarket company where he managed stores and became the head of non-food buying. Later, he was coaxed away by the Gibson Discount Store phenomenom, and opened three of those with a partner. But, I digress. I didn't know what I wanted to "be" in life, so I got the Marketing degree because all I knew was retail. AAMOF, I STILL don't know what I want to be when I grow up. :baby:

Germany? Don't forget France. They all get so much vacation, it's a challenge to coordinate and get things done in a timely fashion.

Jon, I'll look for your message and give you a call later to confirm, then we'll swap Evil Marketing Puke stories in Vegas.

Comment

• FrancoB
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Hank
                                      Germany? Don't forget France. They all get so much vacation, it's a challenge to coordinate and get things done in a timely fashion.
                                      You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Maybe they are better in coordinating, so they don't have to work 50 weeks a year? Something to think about, Hank. You might wanna bring down your hours of Fox News :rofl: to a minimum and start reading some books? 8O

Please, stick to speakerbuilding. :T

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by FrancoB
                                        You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Maybe they are better in coordinating, so they don't have to work 50 weeks a year? Something to think about, Hank. You might wanna bring down your hours of Fox News :rofl: to a minimum and start reading some books? 8O

Please, stick to speakerbuilding. :T
                                        Well, that's the problem, I think, is that Hank doesn't have any more time for speaker building than I have lately.

And I don't even have cable.

I do have about 2-1/2 months accrued vacation, though.

And of the three weeks I've taken this year, two were actually spent working on company stuff 8 hours a day, but at least I was out of the office and could ignore email and concentrate on something productive, like writing conference papers.

I look forward to swapping stories, Hank. Even at my current company the last 20 years, I've been pressed into Marketing jobs on a "temporary" basis (like for a yer) on occasion. I get real cranky when that happens....

~Jon
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"