X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gvinson
    • Nov 2005

Electronic Crossovers

I'd like to try to start a conversation about the differences and similarities of the available crossovers for DIY, particularly the Behringer 24/96 vs the DBX Studio Drive, vs ???.

I need to cross an dipole ribbon to a monopole bass at 300 cycles, and I'd like to understand some of the issues that others have encountered with these crossover systems. Particularly design differences backed up by actual listening impressions if possible. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

My Ribbon Project
  • thylantyr
    • Nov 2004

I use a DCX2496 and it's a great piece for $250. If I had $500,
    I wouldn't upgrade to the 'equivalent' DBX because there isn't
    enough evidence that says it's better. I've seen posts were
    DBX users went back to DCX and visa versa. I've seen posts were
    DEQX {$3000+} users went back to DCX and visa versa.
    It comes down to features. You may not need features in the more expensive units so why pay for it. Some people must have them.

These other systems cost $500, $1000, $2000, $3000, and beyond and when you sit back and digest what $250 offers, it
    seems like a steal. It's not perfect though.

Research data for you;

Comment

• gvinson
      • Nov 2005

Hey!....thanks thylantyr for all the back-up data. I shall study now....

The Ribbon Project

Comment

• sfdoddsy
        • Sep 2000

I've owned both a dbx 260 and a Behringer DCX2496 for extended lengths of time. If there were a sonic difference, (and with input levels set correctly) I'm not sure that my ears are delicate enough to hear it.

I also think it comes down to price and features. The dbx I had was especially suited to complicated room EQ as it has many EQ points available on both inputs and outputs.

The Behringer is better suited for dipole EQ because it allows you to stack shelving filters on top of each other to get the sometimes radical EQ we need, especially in the bass.

So, to answer your question, if I were building normal dynamic speakers I probably would have stayed with the dbx, but for dipoles the Behringer is a better bet.

Cheers

Steve
        Last edited by sfdoddsy; 05 December 2005, 10:09 Monday.
        Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• gvinson
          • Nov 2005

Steve...thanks for the info. I clicked on your DIY dipole link and remembered I had actually been there once before. Very nice.

I hear what your saying about the Behringer. Geez, that DBX is so sexy though.

The RIbbon Project

Comment

• ralphs99
            • Jul 2005

I have a dbx Driverack PA that I'm mostly very happy with. It has a few advantages over the Behringer.

-A -10dBm input level setting giving a better match to domestic HiFi setups. Some people have complained about the poor S/N with the Behringer which only offers +4dBm inputs.
            Disappointingly, the FR on the PA is not quite flat using this setting. There is a couple of dB rolloff which requires one of the available filters to fix! I've been on to dbx about this and they display the typical head in the sand approach!

-A subsonic harmoniser. Not really HiFi but it gives a nice bass fullness and is fun to experiment with.

-Compressors and Limiters. Again not very HiFi but useful for driver protection in some cases. Also if you're using volume control on the outputs and running the device with a constant input level, the compressors are available as an effect.

The driverack PA and studio are identical devices. The only difference being the presets loaded into it. The studio is now discontinued.

The PA/studio lack digital inputs, although I will look at adding this myself as a future project. The number of filters is a bit limited too. Only a graphic on the input and 2 parametric filters per output band (3 on the HF). Finally, no PC interface is provided.
            Oh, one more thing I don't like is that there is no turn off muting. When I switch the PA and amps off at the same time, I get a big thump. I currently leave the device permanently powered on to avoid this.

Sound quality is excellent. AD/DA sections work very well, and it's easy to use.

The 260 that Steve uses is a better proposition than the PA/Studio for serious work, but twice the price. I think I will have to upgrade to one as I'm being hampered by the limited number of filters I have at the moment. Let me know if you want to sell yours Steve....

Cheers,
            Ralph.
            Aeronet research pages
            Acoustic, Electronic & Speaker Design

Comment

• sfdoddsy
              • Sep 2000

I sold my 260. My biggest beef was that you cannot specify multiple shelving filters on the outputs, so that you have to try and tweak parametric filters to duplicate the effect. Then you get crossover issues as a 4th order becomes something very different.

It is also very useful to be able to switch the DCX from a 2x3 way to a 3x2 way.

Again (for mine) DCX for dipoles, dbx260 for dynamics and room EQ.

Cheers

Steve
              Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• gvinson
                • Nov 2005

Well....I am leaning towards the DCX, and just dealing with input level situations. I am still not completely clear as to the issues surrounding an outboard volume control. I need to take the time to study it some more. Hell, I hoped to get a all-in-one solution.

Anyway, thanks for the information, it's greatly appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"