Center Channel Project finished after nearly a year of work.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Center Channel Project finished after nearly a year of work.

Like most of my projects I seem to take way too much time trying to find the proper hardware or a method of doing something wacky, so the time spent isn’t really indicative of the difficulty, just a product of my finicky attitude and desire to do things that no one else would do.

The fit and clearances along with the proper hardware for the gimble assy was probably the hardest part of the project, although I have an even deeper appreciation of the difficulty in aligning grains and matching different pieces of wood together to give a homogenous look. Working with hard and soft woods mixed is another challenge that I find very frustrating at times. The full adjustment range exceeds 6 inches at the rear articulating ball assy, which on second thought was probably the single most difficult to devise and construct. The adjustment can aloe close to 30° of angle on the mid/woofer cabinets relative to the tweeter pod. Every part can be removed and broken down like a gun, each mid enclosure pivots on a spring loaded pin that fits into a receptacle and can be depressed for removing the enclosure from the gimble mounting ring. Everything is solid Oak or painted MDF to match my mains. The tweeter pod is easily removable with the ¼ -20 bolt behind the faceplate.

The prototype has been up and running for months so I have tweaked the sound to very satisfying results already, these little woofers will pack a whallop for their cone area, but a little overprices IMO.

Woofers- Scan-Speak 8530-K01S
    Tweeter- Vifa XT-25 with custom faceplate.
    Crossover- Marchand XM44-4 (2.6K 4th order)

Woofers are paralleled (2-way) and powered by the Halo A-52 and a separate channel to the Tweeter.

Pictures
    Attached Files
    My Center Channel Project
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Very unique looking speakers KingDaddy.

I'm impressed. :T

Comment

• KeithM
      • Oct 2005

Those look really nice.

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

Hi Mike,

Those are very cool, I really like those faceplates. I wish I had you're wood working skills. I love the sonosub and IB too. ;x(

Is there a functional reason for the articulated design or is it just the challenge and aesthetics?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by GrahamT
          Hi Mike,

Those are very cool, I really like those faceplates. I wish I had you're wood working skills. I love the sonosub and IB too. ;x(

Is there a functional reason for the articulated design or is it just the challenge and aesthetics?
          Thanks.

Yes, I am hoping to adjust the toe in/out to minimise the lobing errors as best I can to help eliminate the problems associated with a MTM on laying on its side. I can hear a difference when the drums are at one extreem position relitive to the other, just can’t figure out exaclly what its doing yet. They do seem to sound better toed in although, still need to measure to back this up. If it fails to help the lobing then maybe it can help to mechanicaly time align the drivers relitive to one another.
          My Center Channel Project

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"