X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PoorboyMike
    • Oct 2005

Full range speakers for office

I bought a Magnavox CD changer/radio for work and the detachable speakers are junk. I want to throw together something simple to show off my awesome woodworking abilities to my coworkers :B and get some decent sound also. Some of them have expressed an interest into me building them some speakers (just simple stuff like cheap 5.1 systems; these people think the Sony Dream system is awesome so impressing them shouldn't be hard) so I figured this would be good way to advertise. I just want to do a simple full range design, ported or sealed, using a 4" driver. I realize a 3" probably works better for a full range, but off axis resposne isn't really an issure, and with all the noise around me, decent spl is a must.

Any one have any recomondations from Tang-Band or Hi-Vi? I've read several of the posts on DIY audio but would like to get some opinions from the experts here. Price is a consideration or I would go with the FR125. I need to order soon, as Parts Express has the 8" TB woofer on sale for $35 and this is what I'm going to mate the full range pair with.
  • morbo
    • Nov 2004

Take a look at:

if you surf around the site, there are 3 designs there for the aurasound ns3, hivi b3n, and tb 871. Should be just what you're looking for.

Comment

• PoorboyMike
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by morbo
      Take a look at:

if you surf around the site, there are 3 designs there for the aurasound ns3, hivi b3n, and tb 871. Should be just what you're looking for.
      Thanks, that's a very good article. Looks like I can get off cheap with Hi-Vi's and the TB sub. The money I save over the 4" TB's will pay for !/2 the amp for the sub! The only thing I'm concerned with is SPL: I guess it really wont cost me too much to find out though.

Comment

• AJINFLA
        • Mar 2005

You will get decent SPL if you feed them enough power and cross them high enough. Most are rather inefficient. The Aura will play plenty loud if you dump enough power into it.
        Zaph has a HiVi B3 design you could use, but take a look at this TB 3" also, Darren at PE liked it more than the HiVi: http://www.partsexpress.com/projects...re/driver.html
        Good luck.

Cheers,

AJ
        Manufacturer

Comment

• Jim85IROC
          • Jan 2005

In reading Darren K's new center channel project in the new PE flier, he mentioned that he evaluated the hi-vi along with some tangband stuff. One comment that stuck with me was about the hi-vi driver's 3mm x-max. He said that although that published x-max seems impressive, the reality is that the suspension is incapable of actually allowing enough excursion for the driver to attain its rated x-max. He said that with far less excursion, it started making nasty suspension noises.

He mentioned that the tangband he wound up choosing, while rated at a .75mm x-max, reached its limits much more gracefully and was able to get much louder without any sort of audible ugliness. I can confirm with my Tangband w3-871s that they still seem to sound just fine when reaching excursions beyond their rated limits, and don't really get ugly sounding until you really get them swinging.

Comment

• AJINFLA
            • Mar 2005

Hi Jim,

the link in my post goes to the page where Darren is elaborating on exactly what you said. Sorry if I wasn't clear that it's what I was trying to convey. I still think that if you have enough power, the Aura would be the driver of choice. I do favor the greater accuracy (for better or worse
            :W ) of the metal (hard/low self damping) cones.

Cheers,

AJ
            Manufacturer

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"