• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Interesting DIY audio website

His flare testing jig....

Last edited by ThomasW; 21 November 2005, 00:18 Monday.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Another link off the website above. This one has a very clever DIY flare using heated standard PVC pipe

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Well the more I surf this fellows site the more interesting things I find. So here's a site map.

Among other things he has a little freeware program for calculating subwoofer box sizes.

Boxnotes

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• GrahamT
        • Oct 2004

Wow, cool site. That PVC port flare trick is quite clever, but I dont know if is worth the effort for a 25mm radius flare. It is probably easier to make one using a 1" roundover router bit (if you already have one) and MDF rings.

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's probably not worth messing with heated PVC for little ports where it's easy to use a router bit. But for larger sizes it has promise.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• Bent
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2003

What would be used for uniform heating?
            I have a commercial 1800 watt PVC pipe bender for conduit up to 2-1/2", but 4 inch or larger would require some ingenuity.

Comment

• ThomasW
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I was wondering about that too.

For a big pipe I'd start with by holding the end in boiling H2O. Use boiling oil if you anticipate an attack by the Mongol hoards later in the day.... :B

Then use a heat gun or better yet one of those infrared parabolic area heaters. They're like $50 at Costco

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• PMazz
                • May 2001

Maybe I'll try one after the turkeys come out of the fryer...

Pete
                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"