X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerusalem
    • Aug 2005

sealed subwoofer plans? anyone?

I have looked around for subwoofer plans, and think i have to make sealed subwoofer.It would be more for the music than movies,
    so controll is prefered over earth shaking bass.

Something similar like REL subwoofers would be nice, and my budget is 800$.

-Should i make 2 subwoofers with 500w bash amplifier, rather than 1 subwoofer with 1000w?

If you have good suggestions for plans, post them here please.

(Under is link for the Drake subwoofer using Dayton reference series 12" driver
    and 1000w Dayton amplifier,what do you think about this?)

The Drake bash amplifier
  • cjd
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Dec 2004

A pair of subs gives you both more control and more potential headaches as far as placement goes.

The best possible option is an IB sub, but that is not something that is always possible. Beyond that, what kind of room/space options/limitations do you have? that may help us point you in the right direction more than anything else.

If a fan cooled (and therefore noisy-ish) amp is OK, the NADY amp is probably un-beatable for price and power. Combine with something like the Outlaw ICBM to give you all the crossover control you need (if you don't want to do your own).

The Dayton RS subs are good stuff. I wouldn't go for the Drake unless you are VERY space limited.

15" single driver is going to be as much displacement as a pair of 12's in all liklihood. I would check out the SoundSplinter thread perhaps.
    diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jerusalem
      • Aug 2005

My listening room is 30m2, sub can be "normal" size.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

Normal around here is very very big. We take a no compromises approach.

If you do what Roly is doing and build a nice big riser, that would work quite well. Or you could do a ~3+cu/ft sealed 15". Or maybe one of the 8cu/ft ported behemouths. For the sealed, pick an appropriate driver and feed it ~1000W.

or... or...

You're talking to someone that considers my 3000 cubic foot "box" to be about right. Sealed.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• GrahamT
          • Oct 2004

Originally posted by cjd
          Normal around here is very very big.

You're talking to someone that considers my 3000 cubic foot "box" to be about right. Sealed.

C
          I guess my 14 cubic foot sub is considered small 'round these parts.

Jeru,

You might want to check out: www.diysubwoofers.org . I found lots of good info there when I built my subs.

Also, this is just a guess, but if you do some digging, you might be able to find out what drivers REL uses and build a clone, if you want to emulate REL.

Comment

• jerusalem
            • Aug 2005

I looked some more ,and few drivers at least seem to be "worth" of trying...

If im building a sub for music, is this the right direction???

Adire audio, Tempest 12"15" 229-249$,

Ascendant audio, avalanche 15" 300$

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by jerusalem
              I looked some more ,and few drivers at least seem to be "worth" of trying...

If im building a sub for music, is this the right direction???

Adire audio, Tempest 12"15" 229-249$,

Ascendant audio, avalanche 15" 300$

Within your budget I would be looking at a professional amp (like the Nady XA-900 mentioned above and in other recent threads here), a Behringer feedback destroyer (FBD) for equalization, and a 15" driver such as the ones you've noted. Cost will be approximately $200 amp, $100 FBD, $300 driver and some more for mdf, shipping and taxes.

Build the sub, and if more output/less distortion is required you can build another sub in the future for not much more than the cost of the driver - the amp and FBD can be used for both subs. That's one of the benefits of a pro amp - flexibility in hookup and placement.

Have fun,

Paul

Comment

• ThomasW
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

None of the Adire drivers you listed are currently available. Early this year Adire opened a production plant in Chile, and to date almost nothing has been imported to the US.

Since you linked to the Oaudio BASH amp, you might want to consider their TC2+ 15" driver

Please answer the question about the amp. Must you use a plate amp or can you use a standard fan cooled pro-sound amp?

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jerusalem
                  • Aug 2005

What it comes to amplifier, im bit about confused what to use...

Plate amp would be easier to use, but professional fancooled amplifier would be with separable equaliser a more "serious" option.What comes to my room, it could be either but im bit vary what comes to quality of watts in professional amplifiers.

This is quote from this foorum, is there something wrong with Andy???8O

"For fun, I hooked up my Adcom GFA545 amp (100watt) up to the subs. They sounded better, more controlled, and an unscientific test said they were even a bit louder. The prior amps were a Nady XA900 and a Nady XA2100. (For reference, the 2100 put out just about 900w before clipping in stereo on these subs, and only 1450 in bridged mode before clipping.) Still, they weren't breaking records."

In my experience with car amplifiers, the more watts doesn't allways mean better control of the subwoofer.I had my mtx amplifier once replaced with cheaper autostudio amplifier, and altought it had more watts it also sounded absolutely terrible and boomy compared mtx.

Has anyone made any comparations with plate amplifiers and professional fancooled amplifiers? Is there a difference?

Comment

• ThomasW
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Has anyone made any comparations with plate amplifiers and professional fancooled amplifiers? Is there a difference?
                    About 40+ lbs of hardware ..... :wink:

Don't know about the author of the quote, but find the statement pretty far fetched. I have a Adcom 545 used in a testing jig. It's ok but certainly nothing special. And it's no where near powerful enough for todays high excursion subs running EQ.

Given your location you might be able to by a Behringer EP-1500/2500 more easily than the Nady. The Behringer's have quieter fans.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• jerusalem
                      • Aug 2005

thanks for the tip about behringer, i think ep 2500 is enought strong amplifier, but I will have to make modification for quieter fans.Well cant have all in one, can you?

Now we have a element: Ascendent audio avalanche 15", and amplifier behringer ep 2500, any suggestions for equaliser??? (or whatever it is that i need for crossover)

...OR should i wait a bit for the new Ascendent range? When they are going to be available i wonder...

Comment

• ThomasW
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

There are no more Ave 15". If you want one driver from Ascendant you'll have to wait until the new ones are available, probably around the new year.

A good alternative is the SS-RL-p15 if you want a higher excursion 15" woofer than the Oaudio TC2+

The best deal in parametric EQ's is the Behringer DSP1124P

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• jerusalem
                          • Aug 2005

Allright, if we would take this kind of approach, let's say amplifier will be looked after the woofer, which would you choose? Criteria is 15" and for music 70%, movies 30%and budget still 800$.

Comment

• ThomasW
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Well I'm silly, with that budget I'd buy 2 TC2+ 15"s, mount them in the same box firing in opposite directions. This will eliminate the tendency for sealed subs to "walk".

Box size is dependent on how big a box you can live with, in relation to how much EQ you want to use. Small box means more EQ requiring more power. Big box means less overall EQ, somewhat less power.

The amount of EQ needed will of course be a function of the amount of room gain (cabin gain) you get.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• borderdad
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by ThomasW
                              The amount of EQ needed will of course be a function of the amount of room gain (cabin gain) you get.
                              I hate to be a complete fool, but...(luckily, it gets easier as I get older) could someone give me a quick rundown about EQ's. I know what they are but what do you do with them specifically with subs? Also, as an aside, do you guys with the pro gear use an adapter like the Rane buddybox or just deal with the signal loss with more juice? thanks.
                              Hola from El Paso!

Comment

• jerusalem
                                • Aug 2005

Thanks for fast reply, i think o audio tc2+ will be the driver for now on, but what is this? tc9? some kind of advanced version of tc2+? or one step down?

And were does fit the soundplinter Premium 15" driver, as it is based on tc9?

darn this is getting confusing

Comment

• KeithM
                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by borderdad
                                  I hate to be a complete fool, but...(luckily, it gets easier as I get older) could someone give me a quick rundown about EQ's. I know what they are but what do you do with them specifically with subs? Also, as an aside, do you guys with the pro gear use an adapter like the Rane buddybox or just deal with the signal loss with more juice? thanks.
                                  You measure the response, then use a subwoofer equilizer to alter the response to get a lower response. I think Linkwitz Transforms do a better job, but that's just my opinion.

Comment

• Bent
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2003

i think o audio tc2+ will be the driver for now on, but what is this? tc9? some kind of advanced version of tc2+? or one step down?

The TC9 is also a TC Sounds driver, some would say a considerable step up from the '2+... the Sound SplinterRL-p is a OEM modified (ok, speacial spec) TC9 with a NBR (natural butyl rubber?) rubber surround and dual voice coils available in dual 2 ohm, or dual 4 ohm.

Comment

• AJINFLA
                                      • Mar 2005

Lets see, you are looking for primarily a "music" sub, SQ 1st. You have a budget of about $800. You want sealed. Two of these would fit that recipe rather nicely: http://www.rythmikaudio.com/servo_product.htm.
                                      I've said it before and I'll say it again, if there is a more musical sub for that amount, please show it to me. You can definately get higher output for the same $ with some 15's etc, if you were more inclined to HT. But for mainly music use, these are tough to beat.

Cheers,

AJ

mine :W
                                      Manufacturer

Comment

• ThomasW
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2000

but what is this? tc9? some kind of advanced version of tc2+? or one step down?
                                        No it's certainly not a step down. It has a bigger motor , double spider with woven leads. Designed to take a pounding.
                                        A comparison of the T/S parameters of the TC9 and the TC2+ provide the info.

I hate to be a complete tool, but...(luckily, it gets easier as I get older) could someone give me a quick rundown about EQ's
                                        For the last several years people have been using the Behringer DSP1124P as a digital stereo parametric equalizer

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"